- The Verizon iPhone is no longer a mythical beast, and is set to make it’s public release next month. With that opens iOS and it’s games to the other half of the two biggest carriers. Peter Relan, chairman of OpenFeint, shared his excitement with the newly increased iOS market:
“The iPhone coming to Verizon is a highly anticipated event by the mobile gaming community. Adding 13 million more potential gamers on the iPhone is going to be a watershed moment for mobile gaming. I wouldn’t be surprised if the US mobile gaming industry doubles in revenue this year because of this deal.”
- Remedy Entertainment, known for last year’s story-driven mystery title Alan Wake, is reviving their 1996 Windows freeware title Death Rally for an iOS release. The car combat title, which Remedy is calling “bigger, stronger, and more vicious than ever,” is aiming for a March release in the app store.
- Dead Space is coming to the iOS, so you can keep Isaac in your pocket wherever you go. The story in the iOS version, expected for a release in the near future, bridges the gap between Dead Space and Dead Space 2. This becomes further evidence that more games, such as Gears of War, may possibly port to the iOS sooner than the projected two years. Check out the trailer below.
- On Tuesday, popular browser-based gaming hot spot, Kongregate, announced it’s move to Android‘s platform with their own app. This would bring over 300 Flash-based titles to Android’s already dismal gaming presence. The platform would bring achievements, leaderboards and badges to help enhance gaming on Android devices.
- Hopefully that last bullet point didn’t get you too excited, since Google decided to pull Kongregate from the Android Marketplace, claiming they were in violation of the Android Market Developer Distribution Agreement. Before the app was pulled, it was downloaded in the “tens of thousands” and secured a 4.5 out of 5 rating. Fret not if you missed out! Being they only were in violation of the Android Marketplace, you can still grab the app at Kongregate’s website. Kongregate is looking into getting the app restored with Google.
This Week’s Recommendations
Ramps: An addictive physics game for iOS. Your goal is to move and rotate ramps to lead the ball to the goal. As levels progress, more obstacles and enemies become increasing factors between the ball and the goal. 100 levels, Game Center support and 99 cents in the iOS app store.
Grimm: Ride of the Perambulator: If you enjoyed the darkness and artsy style of Limbo, you’ll most likely enjoy Grimm. Using the accelerometer to control, guide the baby in the carriage through each level while facing obstacles and enemies. Move objects, jump on enemies and launch the baby from the carriage to hit switches. 10 worlds, 8 mini-levels and 99 cents in the iOS app store.
DeathFall: With use of the accelerometer, your goal is to guide the skull down a long descent while collecting relics and avoiding spikes. Featuring an artistic environment, Game Center support, and social integration, you can snag this artistic physics title for 99 cents in the iOS app store.
What are your thoughts on this week’s news? Looking forward to any of the upcoming titles? Are you using Kongregate on your Android? Let us know in the comments!