As many of you may know, Nintendo‘s latest handheld console the 3DS isn’t doing too hot in terms of sales in both Japan and North America, relatively speaking. It’s even managed to be outsold by the PSP. There are many speculated reasons but the people at Goo Research have conducted a 1,110 person survey in order to better help find out why many have been opting out on purchasing the new handheld.
As you can see below, many of the top items on the list are reasons head time and time again; few launch titles, weak battery and worries about the consoles stress on the eyes. While most of these are valid reasons, the portable console didn’t really start off on the right foot. On top of a shocking lack of noteworthy video game releases, not launching with (and still not having) the eShop – one of the main features – and not providing enough units at the time of launch are not helping the system. It also doesn’t help the portable system that cell phones are becoming more powerful and legitimate gaming devices by the month.
Take a look at the top 20 below and see if how many reasons you agree with.
- 1. Price is high/waiting for a price drop
- 2. Satisfied by DS/DSi
- 3. Worried about eye strain
- 4. Worried about getting sick from the screen
- 5. Few launch titles
- 6. Will buy once a game I want is released
- 7. Satisfied by cell phone and smartphone games
- 8. Satisfied by PSP
- 9. The battery is weak
- 10. It’s heavy and I don’t feel like carrying it with me
- 11. Can’t play Game Boy Advance games
- 12. The color I want isn’t available
- 13. Can’t play Game Boy games
- 14. I’ll save my money for NGP, thank you very much
- 15. Waiting for a version with a larger screen
- 16. Because you can’t move your DSi Points over
- 17. The buttons layout looks hard to use
- 18. No Famicom/NES in the Virtual Console
- 19. The zoom view for DS games is hard on the eyes
- 20. Waiting until my friend buys it
All hope isn’t lost for the portable though. Next week’s E3 will act as a prime point for Nintendo to build back confidence and turn everything back around at their upcoming press conference. Game Rant will be there will all the details. Good or bad. Worst come to worst, they can always provide the system in different colors or a lite version.