The creator of the Super Mario 64 Online rom hack, a mod enabling multiplayer on the classic platforming game, has become Nintendo’s latest target in its IP protection crusade. Nintendo has shut down Super Mario 64 Online developer Kaze Emanuar’s Patreon account and removed 20 videos related to the game from his YouTube channel. Emanuar has since said that downloads for the rom hack have also been DMCA’d, completing Nintendo’s erasure campaign.

Emanuar spoke to Kotaku yesterday regarding Nintendo’s focus on him following the release of Super Mario 64 Online:

“They took down my videos for containing their ‘audiovisual content,’ meaning Mario 64 gameplay and Mario 64 music. They even took down videos without Mario 64 music too though. The exact same goes for my Patreon. They didn’t personally message me, I’ve only received a ton of emails that things had been removed from YouTube/Patreon [Tuesday] morning. They seem to have targeted the ‘Super Mario 64 Online’ videos especially, as every single one of them has disappeared from my channel.”

Despite having only recently seen its release, Super Mario 64 Online will not be allowed to exist where the public can access or view it freely. Nintendo has set its sights on this one project of Emanuar’s, and once Nintendo’s legal arm sets its sights on something, it doesn’t let up.

Emanuar says he has yet to receive a Cease and Desist order from Nintendo regarding the development of Super Mario 64 Online or any of his other modding projects. That could either be an oversight, or a warning to Emanuar considering his excellent work in the past. If it is a warning, it’s to let Emanuar know he went too far with this scale of a project, or that his monetization had expanded beyond reason.

This isn’t the first mod from Emanuar, as he has been working on Super Mario 64 modding projects for years now. But he has clearly invested a lot of time and energy in his latest project, with Nintendo’s moves to block the mod’s release being confusing and hurtful. Having his funding cut out from under him damages all of his projects, and leaves him in a position where he’s not sure how to proceed. But monetizing the modification of a large publisher’s work is a precarious and often ill-conceived idea, which was a lesson learned by the creators of the Metroid 2 fan remake AM2R.

According to his Twitter, Emanuar’s planning on taking a lengthy break from development until the “situation has calmed.” From there, he admits a curiosity about returning to Super Mario 64 Online, but says he has plenty of other mods to work on as well.

Super Mario 64 Online has been taken down by Nintendo.

Source: Kotaku

SCROLL FOR NEXT ARTICLE