[Update: It seems that for once the rumors were right on the money, as EA announced the details for their upcoming Collector’s Edition, Deluxe Edition, and Standard edition for The Old Republic. As was stated yesterday, the Collector’s Edition will come with all the bells and whistles listed, though with a much more reasonable $150 price tag.
There will also be an additional Deluxe Edition for $79.99, that will come with five virtual items, including the Flare Gun, Training Droid, personal HoloDancer, HoloCam and the STAP vehicle. The trick here is that regardless of which package you pre-order – Collector’s, Deluxe, or Standard – players will be granted a free 30 days with the game. That’s not a bad deal at all, considering that EA hasn’t detailed the monthly cost of the game yet…]
Earlier today, we reported on the potential leak of Star Wars: The Old Republic’s box art and pre-order goodies. Straight from the Polish retailer Empik, it turns out that there was a little more info waiting to be found. According to the retailer, the game will receive an elaborate Collector’s Edition, and pre-order sales will open on July 21st.
While none of this has been officially confirmed by EA or BioWare (much like the game’s specific release date), Empik had plenty of info on the upcoming Collector’s Edition. If the leaked report and image are worth anything, then it’s definitely a set worth considering.
From the image, the Collector’s Edition will be packed full of goodies for any Padawan or Jedi Master.
Limited Collector’s Edition Includes
- Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
- Star Wars: The Old Republic game discs in collectible metal case
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
- Old Republic galaxy map
- Custom Security Authentication Key (i.e. Authenticator)
- Exclusive Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
- High-Quality Collector’s Edition Box
Includes 7 Additional Digital Items
- Flare Gun: Fire flares into the air
- Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance
- HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer
- HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures
- STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle
- Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spun-ky droid to join your adventures
- Exclusive Collector’s Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with a dynamic assortment of items
From where it stands, the Collector’s Edition is priced at 150 Euros, which is at about $220 here in the States. That’s a bit steep for a Collector’s-anything, yet given how much BioWare and EA are offering — and how much they have put into the game — it seems appropriate. It might also be one of the ways to make back some of that money put into the production of the The Old Republic.
With SDCC coming up in a few days, BioWare swears they will be announcing info during their panel, and with news leaking like a bad faucet, it may be that this will be the time for them to come clean. By this time next week, we may have all the answers.
Do you think this Collector’s Edition is legitimate? If so, would you buy it, and what would you be willing to pay?
Star Wars: The Old Republic is set to release sometimes in 2011, strictly for the PC.