‘Star Wars: Battlefront’ Won’t Feature Battlefield-Style Destruction

By | 2 years ago 

Fans have been desperate to hear anything about EA and DICE’s upcoming Star Wars: Battlefront since the pair announced the game over a year ago. In the days leading up to the Star Wars Celebration last week, everything from teasers, to screenshots, to potential release dates were hitting the Internet, which only managed to make the wait for official reveals even harder. Suffice it to say, even after all these years, the Star Wars brand in still capable of putting people into a frenzy.

At long last, though, the first reveal trailer debuted, featuring in-game visuals, and the grand scale of combat that only a Battlefield game has been capable of producing. One one hand, that’s exactly what players want from the highly anticipated title, but on the other, how about something new? Something that doesn’t feel like another modern day military, multiplayer shooter?

Questions such as these were once aimed at Battlefield Hardline prior to its launch, but now that its come and gone, it’d only reasonable to have these same concerns with Battlefront. Fortunately, DICE has also come out at said that the Star Wars game will be its own thing, but it remains to be seen how far it’ll distance itself from those that came before.

One particular aspect that should go a long way in separating Battlefront from Battlefield will be how crazy and over-the-top the destruction will be. In both Battlefield 4 and Hardline, maps could be destroyed and altered, thereby changing the way people play. With Battlefront, at least, according to DICE GM Patrick Bach, destruction will be pretty scaled back, as the usual style wouldn’t fit very well into the Star Wars universe.

Said Bach in an interview with Engadget:

“Star Wars, as an [intellectual property], is shaping what we’re doing. So we won’t do excessive destruction just because we can. It’s more about ‘what do you need and what you want’ in a Battlefield game versus a Battlefront game.”

The Star Wars twitter account supported this statement yesterday in response to a question, saying that the plan is to use destruction “where it make sense.”

We’ll all have to wait and see if DICE manages to carve out a unique space for the upcoming game, as it would be a nice reprieve from the Battlefield style that’s been seen recently. If it doesn’t, however, it’ll hurt a lot more after being told the exact opposite was happening.

Star Wars: Battlefront is set to release on November 17, 2015 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Sources: Engadget, EA Star Wars on Twitter