Star Wars Battlefront 2 will not feature the Conquest game mode according to DICE’s associate design director Dennis Brännvall. This is sure to hurt for Battlefront fans.

When EA confirmed that Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a go, fans were over the moon – glad that once again they would be able to fight within the hugely popular movie franchise’s universe. Many fans have already begun to put together Star Wars Battlefront 2 wishlists, hoping that several features will be added to the game when it arrives later in 2017.

One such feature is the Conquest game mode, which sees players capture and hold strategic points on the map. The mode wasn’t featured in 2015’s Star Wars Battlefront but fans were eager to see the mode introduced in the 2017 follow up, with around 231 people (86% out of 269) voting in favor of the mode in a fan-hosted Twitter poll.

Unfortunately for these fans, Dennis Brännvall, an associate design director at (Star Wars Battlefront developer) DICE says that the development team won’t “go that far into our other franchise.” Though, Brännvall says that there are “things to learn” from the Battlefield franchise, which also stars the Conquest game mode and is also developed by DICE.

@nbyrne00 I don't think we'll go that far into our other franchise but there's certainly things to learn from both— Dennis Brännvall (@DICE_FireWall) December 23, 2016

Understandably, Battlefront fans are upset, not least because Conquest featured in other Battlefront games, Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and Star Wars: Battlefront 2. Star Wars Battlefront did introduce Supremacy mode and on the game’s website Brännvall previously said that it will “excite fans of the Conquest mode from Battlefield.” The director also explained how DICE has made “several tweaks to improve the formula” but no everyone approves of those tweaks, as the Twitter poll indicates.

It’s possible that this is the reason why DICE doesn’t want to add Conquest with Star Wars Battlefront 2. If the developer feels that most gamers approve of the tweaks that it has made and that many people enjoy the Supremacy game mode, DICE won’t want to undo the changes.

Moreover, some have suggested that DICE doesn’t want there to be too much overlap between its hugely popular franchises. Given the huge success of Battlefield 1, it’s hard to imagine that the sharing of one game mode could harm that franchise’s sales, but DICE may want to play it safe anyway.

What is positive, at least, is that although DICE isn’t set to add this fan-requested feature, the developer is looking to address fan feedback in other ways. For example, Star Wars Battlefront 2 will add a story mode campaign, and it will also be ‘much bigger’ than the first game. Hopefully this will be enough for most players to overlook the fact that Conquest is missing.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be released in fall 2017.

SCROLL FOR NEXT ARTICLE