Another Thursday, another update to the Sony PlayStation Store, and another Game Rant Weekly Update.
The bonanza of high-profile Q1 titles are beginning to arrive, while Xbox 360 users will undoubtedly be gloating about the release of BioWare’s Mass Effect 2, PS3 owners won’t be left without their own game to tout – MAG, formerly Massive Action Game, will be released this Tuesday. The title, which allows 256 players to participate in a strategic, class based, FPS battle recently released their public beta to mixed impressions as well as a number of technical problems.
The game, in theory, has the potential to be a more engaging, less frantic, online FPS experience where success in battle is largely the result of coordinated attacks, and sensible strategy – as opposed to the kind of free-for-all a lot of online multiplayer devolves into. However, a number of the initial impressions (myself included) felt the beta only revealed a less polished FPS experience where most gamers simply ignored pleas for coordination and simply tried to rack up kills.
That said, hopefully the people who actually shell-out money for the title will appreciate what Sony was trying to accomplish, and overtime the game will find a better balance – it’s certainly possible, and if it does, the game could be immensely satisfying.
The PSP will receive Shadow of Destiny, previously available on PC and PS2, a quasi-action game from the creator of Silent Hill. The title features non-traditional gameplay where the majority of the playtime is spent watching cut-scenes but the story is engrossing and the gameplay elements compliment the experience well. It’s worth mentioning that the PSP has also received a downloadable Metal Gear Solid bundle (Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus, and the Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel) through the PSN – a great value and excellent way to prepare for the upcoming PSP exclusive Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.
Also, make sure to check out the PSN 10 for ’10 Game Sale which, for one week only, enables players to get half-off ten handpicked titles – definitely a steal.
Here is the Full List of Release Information:
Jan. 26th Retail Game Releases:
MAG is a massively multiplayer online first-person shooter that is unique in a variety of ways. A PS3 exclusive, MAG allows up to 256 players aligned with different private military corporations (PMCs) to battle each other at the same time across a global battlefield. Within this persistent game world players engage in campaign and mission play that elevates their character from the ranks of a lowly grunt, all the way up through the intricate command structure of the in-game officer corp. Along the way players players experience in-depth character customization, a robust leveling system and large-scale MMO shooter gameplay that makes MAG a game not to be missed by fans of the shooter genre.
Shadow of Destiny (PSP)
Sometime ago the main character – Ike – was stabbed to death in the back as he was ambling down the street. Ike then woke up in a dark room and a nearby unfamiliar face to “help him change his fate.” The stranger hands over a time-travel device and the next time Ike awakes, he finds himself in the same cafÃ© he was in, 30 minutes before his death. Shadow of destiny will offer a murder mystery with multiple endings.
TNA Wrestling: Cross the Line (PSP)
Feel the impact anywhere you go as TNA Wrestling comes to portable game platforms with TNA Impact! Cross the Line.
Jan. 21st PlayStation Store Update (PS3)
- Gravity Crash (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
- ZEN Pinball (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
- Critter Crunch (now $3.49, original price $6.99)
- Braid (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
- Burn Zombie Burn (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
- Tank Battles (now $3.49, original price $6.99)
- Uno (now $3.99, original price $7.99)
- Savage Moon: The Hera Campaign (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
- Crystal Defenders PSP (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
- Creature Defense (now $3.99, original price $7.99)
- Kurulin Fusion (now $2.49, original price $4.99)
- Thexder Neo (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment ($14.99)
Konami’s legendary tactical RPG series returns! On the continent of Sostegaria, two rival kingdoms stand on the brink of war. Caught in the tide of battle is young orphan Tobias Martin. Driven to defend his homeland, and to avenge those already fallen, Tobias enlists with his comrades to fight for peace. But all is not what it seems, and they face a threat far deadlier — and closer — than they know.
PS one Classics
Championship Bass ($5.99)
Hit the lakes in this realistic bass simulation. You have many tricks in your arsenal, but do you have what it takes to reel in the big one?
Add-on Game Content
SingStar Viewer (free)
Download the SingStar Viewer today and get access to the best interactive online SingStar content straight from the XMB Menu. Check out hot new tracks at the SingStore, the best performances from the SingStar community at My SingStar Online and everything in between — only on PlayStation 3.
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast Warriors of Justice (free)
“Dragon Ball: Raging Blast” Character Pack #5 is now available! The fifth release is the “Warriors of Justice Pack!” This pack contains Kid Gohan, Gohan, Kid Trunks, Goten and Videl! They fight, in the name of justice! The power of justice will conquer it all!
WWE SmackDown vs RAW 2010 Stone Cold Steve Austin DLC ($0.99)
Download this pack and play as WWE Legend, Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Guitar Hero 5
For all song credits please visit www.guitarhero.com.
- “Broken Man” by Scott McKeon ($1.99)
- “Lonesome Road Blues” by Joe Bonamassa ($1.99)
- “Who I Am” by Tyler Bryant ($1.99)
- New Blues Masters Track Pack ($5.49) — Downloadable Track Pack featuring “Who I Am” by Tyler Bryant, “Lonesome Road Blues” by Joe Bonamassa, and “Broken Man” by Scott McKeon. Please Note: Many songs are available both as singles and as part of a Track Pack, so please carefully consider your purchases before downloading.
- “Laser Cannon Deth Sentence” by Dethklok ($1.99)
- “Still I Rise” by Shadows Fall ($1.99)
- “Twilight of the Thunder God” by Amon Amarth ($1.99)
- Metal Track Pack ($5.49) — Downloadable Track Pack featuring “Still I Rise” by Shadows Fall, “Twilight of the Thunder God” by Amon Amarth, and “Laser Cannon Deth Sentence” by Dethklok. Please Note: Many songs are available both as singles and as part of a Track Pack, so please carefully consider your purchases before downloading.
Build your Rock Band library by purchasing these song game tracks. For song credits, visit www.RockBand.com.
- “1901â€³– Phoenix ($1.99)
- “Lisztomania”– Phoenix ($1.99)
- “Blue Jeans”– Silvertide ($1.99)
- “A Woman in Love (It’s Not Me) (Live)”– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ($1.99)
- “Breakdown (Live)”– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ($1.99)
- “Century City (Live)”– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ($1.99)
- “Jammin’ Me (Live)”– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ($1.99)
- “Nightwatchman (Live)”– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ($1.99)
- “The Waiting (Live)”– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ($1.99)
- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology Pack 2 ($9.99) — Build your Rock Band library by purchasing this song game track pack: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live Anthology Pack 2. This pack includes: “A Woman in Love (It’s Not Me) (Live),” “Breakdown (Live),” “Century City (Live),” “Jammin’ Me (Live),” “Nightwatchman (Live),” and “The Waiting (Live)” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Jan. 14th PlayStation Store Update (PSP)
Downloadable Games (also available from PS3 storefront)
Metal Gear Solid Bundle ($29.99)
Metal Gear Solid Bundle PSP Bundle features three PSP titles from Hideo Kojima’s legendary series that redefined the stealth action genre. Included within this extraordinary bundle are Metal Gear Solid Bundle Portable Ops, Metal Gear Solid Bundle Portable Ops Plus, and the Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel.
DJ Max Fever ($19.99)
The beat jamming sensation that started the music game craze comes to the PSP system in its most complete form ever.
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance ($29.99)
An enhanced version of the original Valhalla Knights 2, “Battle Stance” streamlines gameplay by reducing battle parties from six to four members for more party control, as well as adding warp points in various locations for expedited travel. Combine this with added customization options, new weapons, armor, quests and monsters, and this becomes the most complete Valhalla Knights experience yet.
Will you be picking up MAG? Anything else here that caught your eye?