Today 2K Games announced that Sid Meier’s Pirates! is about to make its seafaring debut on the Wii. On October 5th, 2010, Sid Meier’s Pirates! will chart its course to a retail store near you, bringing Sid Meier’s swashbuckling action to Nintendo’s flagship console.
Since 1987 gamers have been enjoying adventure on the Spanish Main, and Sid Meier’s Pirates! has been winning accolades like "Action Game of the Year" for 1988. In 1993, Pirates! Gold brought color to the game, and opened it up to even a wider audience of gamers. In 2004, Sid Meier’s Pirates! was released, remaking the original 1987 classic, and since then, every year, it has been released on more and more platforms, allowing more and more gamers to join the Caribbean battles.
Have a look at the trailer for Sid Meier's Pirates! on the Wii:
The classic adventure will take full advantage of the Wii Remote to parry, counter, and effectively duel your opponents into submission with lightning quick moves onboard ships, in taverns, and even in the exclusive Governor's mansion.
The Wii will also have exclusive mini games including plundering enemy ports (after bombarding them into obedient submission), and escaping challenging predicaments using your lock picking set.
Sid Meier’s Pirates! is stocked with features, including:
- Descend upon unsuspecting seaside colonies armed with a motley crew of loyal seafaring scoundrels.
- Embark on exhilarating missions, locate secret maps and discover treasure chests bursting with gold and jewels.
- Use newfound riches to barter for supplies and build ships with stronger firepower and bigger sails for faster speed and better navigation.
- Plunge head-first into exciting pirate ship battles, unleash a furious barrage of cannonballs and send nautical enemies to Davy Jones’ Locker.
- Dispatch noisy blowhards using expert swordsmanship in clanging fights of sharp blades of steel.
- Pursue and win the hearts of fair maidens through cunning tactics and charming good looks.
So all hands on deck, and hoist the mainsail, it is time for some real Pirate action. Treasure maps, sword fights, and cannon bombardment will be at your fingertips, or rather Wii-mote. I have enjoyed Sid Meier’s Pirates! since the original was released in 1984, in fact it was a running joke amongst my geek friends that when we closed our eyes at night, all we saw was the 8bit clouds from Pirates!, because it was true.
The replay value on Sid Meier’s Pirates! is also very high, every game brings new adventures, new towns to conquer, ships to attack, and pirate treasures to find. I have owned every copy of this game, including this version on Mac, and with the new features on the Wii, I am really excited to add another version to my collection.
Will you be adding it to yours? Do you have any found memories of attacking Tortuga, or finding Blackbeard’s treasure? Did you close your eyes and see the clouds too?
Sid Meier’s Pirates! charts course for the Wii October 5, 2010.