For such and acclaimed and successful game, Mass Effect 3 sure has managed to enrage a lot of players. Needless to say, I’m referring specifically to the game’s controversial ending, which won’t be covered here. Inspired and united by their distaste for Mass Effect 3’s conclusion, a legion of fans began petitioning developer BioWare for a new ending.
In a surprising — some would say inspiring — turn of events, some real world good is coming from the discontent. The Mass Effect Community has organized a donation drive for Child’s Play. Instead of collecting signatures, the group is collecting donations for an eminently worthy cause. At the time of this writing, the group has raised nearly $50,000. The drive will run through April 11th.
While it may not get fans the Mass Effect 3 ending that they’re hoping for, the Retake Mass Effect 3 – Child’s Play donation drive certainly casts them in a flattering light. Indeed, the group takes pains to point out that it would like to “dispel the perception” that its members are “angry or entitled.” Take a look at the petition below. Do the points made strike you as reasonable?
A Petition for Alternate Endings to the Mass Effect Trilogy
We, the undersigned, respectfully request the consideration of the following petition.
- Mass Effect is an interactive video game providing a detailed framework within which the player may create a unique story
- A major concept of the Mass Effect games is that your choices significantly affect the outcome of the story
- Another major concept of the Mass Effect games is success in the face of seemingly impossible odds
- That it is the right of the writers and developers of the Mass Effect series to end that series however they see fit
However, we also believe that the currently available endings to the series:
- Do not provide the wide range of possible outcomes that we have come to expect from a Mass Effect game
- Do not provide a sense of succeeding against impossible odds
- Do not provide a sense of closure with regard to the universe and characters we have become attached to
- Do not provide an explanation of events up to the ending which maintains consistency with the overall story
We therefore respectfully request additional endings be added to the game which provide:
- A more complete explanation of the story events
- An explanation of the outcome of the decisions made, especially with regard to the planets, races, and companions detailed throughout the series
- A heroic ending which provides a better sense of accomplishment
To this end, we donate to the “Retake Mass Effect 3” Child’s Play Charity drive in lieu of our signature to this petition, in order to establish our sincerity, our love for these games, and for the Mass Effect universe.
We thank you for your consideration.
BioWare is certainly aware of fan frustration with Mass Effect 3, be it the From Ashes DLC, the framerate issues on PS3, or the imported save troubles. That said, nothing matches the uproar over the game’s ending. BioWare’s Casey Hudson has responded to the ending controversy, though whether we’ve heard the final word on this subject remains to be seen.
Regardless of your stance on Mass Effect 3’s ending, or the audacity of fans petitioning that it be changed, you have to applaud the thinking that turned this divisive debate into something positive — and I do.
Do you want Mass Effect 3’s ending changed? Make a donation to Retake Mass Effect 3 – Child’s Play. Are you satisfied with the game’s ending? You can make a donation to Child’s Play, too.
Mass Effect 3 is available now for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
Follow me on Twitter @HakenGaken
Source: Retake Mass Effect 3 – Child’s Play