Rockstar Games announced Monday morning that three unique collector's editions will be made available for Red Dead Redemption 2. The highly anticipated Wild West sequel will be available as a $79.99 Special Editon, a $99.99 Ultimate Edition, and will also feature a unique $99.99 Collector's Box that does not include the base game. Red Dead Redemption 2 launches October 26, so there's no better time to pre-order.
Starting with what will certainly be the most controversial edition, it must be repeated that the Red Dead Redemption 2 $99.99 Collector's Box does not include a copy of the game. It's a product made purely for collectors and huge fans of Red Dead Redemption who want some exclusive merchandise. Here's what's included:
- Metal Tithing Box with Lock & Key - Inspired by the lockbox used by the Van der Linde gang to stash contributions
- Collectible Challenge Coin - The majestic American Buffalo on one side and a scenic landscape on the other side
- Double Sided Puzzle - 100-piece wooden jigsaw puzzle features an illustrated view of the bustling port of Saint Denis on one side and a classically inspired Rockstar Games logo on the reverse
- Six Shooter Bandana - Features a traditional paisley-inspired pattern with hidden weapon iconography throughout
- Treasure Map - Starts an in-game hunt for buried treasure
- Pin Set - Set of six pins in a canvas carrying bag
- Playing Cards - An illustrated deck of cards featuring members of the Van der Linde gang
- Wheeler, Rawson and Co. Catalogue - 150-page replica of the in-game weapon and clothing shop catalog
- 12 Cigarette Cards - Illustrated cards featuring famous gunslingers, outlaws, and stars of the stage
There's limited stock of the Red Dead Redemption 2 Collector's box and it's only available through Rockstar's own Warehouse online store. At $99.99, plus the added cost of buying the game itself, it's a bit pricey, but for those with some spare cash and a lot of hype then it's great to have options.
Where the Collector's Box featured real-life merchandise, both the Special Edition and Ultimate Edition of Red Dead Redemption 2 focus on digital bonuses. The only real-life bonuses they feature, beyond a copy of the game itself, are a printed map, edition-specific slipcovers, and a Steelbook for the Ultimate Edition. Note that all DLC is for Red Dead Redemption 2's Story Mode, beyond an online Rank Bonus in the Ultimate Edition.
Here's what's featured within the Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition, which will cost $79.99:
- Bank Robbery Mission and Gang Hideout
- Dappled Black Thoroughbred Racehorse
- Eagle Talon Talisman and Iguana Scale Medallion Gameplay Bonuses
- Gameplay Stat Boosts, Cash Bonuses, and Discounts
- Nuevo Paraiso Gunslinger Outfit
- Free Access to Several Weapons
The Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition, which costs $99.99, will include all Special Edition content as well as:
- Blackrose Bounty Hunter and Cooperhead Enforcer Outfits
- Black Chestnut Thoroughbred Racehorse
- Survivor Camp Theme Free Access
- Online Rank Bonuses, Up to Rank 25
All provided collector's edition content will be available for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. However, Rockstar noted that there is PlayStation 4 exclusive pre-order content planned but not yet announced.
In addition to the Red Dead Redemption 2 collector's edition details, Rockstar also officially confirmed the previously leaked pre-order bonuses for the game. All pre-orderers will receive an in-game iron-grey colored Ardennes War Horse and the Outlaw Survival Kit. Digital pre-orderers for both consoles will also get a Store Mode cash bonus, a Treasure Map (must pre-order before July 31), and a scaling amount of GTA$ for Grand Theft Auto Online.
Red Dead Redemption 2 releases on October 26 for the PS4 and Xbox One.