Pokemon fans want to be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch these monsters is their real test, and Mega Evolving them has become their cause – at least, it will once Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire arrive later this November. That's right, yet another couple of Pocket Monsters have been confirmed by Nintendo to have Mega Evolutions in the pair of upcoming games, and those creatures are none other than Steelix and Glalie.
With the inclusion of these two, a grand total of 20 Mega Evolution are now confirmed to be making their debut in the upcoming Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. That said, all of the newly announced Mega Evolutions are exclusive to the aforementioned games, meaning that gamers won't be able to use the likes of Mega Steelix or Mega Glalie in Pokemon X or Y. Regardless, wannabe Pokemon Masters that plan on picking up either copy of the game will be treated to some very powerful creatures.
For starters, Mega Steelix has an enhanced Defense stat that makes it even more difficult to knock out. Combine this fortified feature with its attack Iron Tail, a manoeuvre that's only further powered up by the beast's Sand Force Ability, and trainers that have this rock-snake Pokemon on their team should have no problem trouncing their opponents.
Meanwhile, Mega Glalie gains a mild Speed boost and massive upgrades to both its Attack and Special Attack stats. It's also gifted the Refrigerate Ability (which turns Normal-type attacks into Ice-type ones) and adds a devastating attack called Sheer Cold to its arsenal. Aspiring players that want to add Glalie to their team, however, will have a unique means of doing so.
[gallery columns="2" link="file" ids="241379,241380,241388,241386,241381,241382"]
Fans that manage to get their hands on the previously announced Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire demo will be able to catch and transfer Glalie over to the full games. Anyone hoping to get in on the demo have a couple of ways they can go about signing up, but they have a finite amount of time left to do so.
The most immediate way for gamers to gain access to the limited demo is by signing up for the Pokemon Trainer Club Newsletter and allowing The Pokemon Company to send them emails about future promotions, but consumers will have to sign up before the day's end.
Nintendo also listed the following ways that North American gamers can get in on the demo on the company's official website:
- Codes will be distributed at select cinema locations nationwide from Nov. 7–Nov. 13 (while supplies last).
- Check with your local retailer during the holidays to find out about special demo code giveaways (while supplies last).
- Get a code with your purchase of the new Pokémon Art Academy game (out Oct. 24) when you buy from Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS or 2DS system.
- You’ll also get a code with your purchase of one of two classic Pokémon games coming to the Virtual Console service on Nintendo eShop: the Pokémon Puzzle Challenge game (out Nov. 6) or the Pokémon Trading Card Game (out Nov. 13). You'll find your free demo code on your eShop receipt (download codes available while supplies last).
- Codes will be emailed the week of Oct. 31 to select Nintendo customers with Nintendo Network IDs who have signed up to receive promotional emails from Nintendo.
- Codes will also be distributed during the holiday mall tour from Nov. 24‒Dec. 21 at 16 different locations throughout the nation. Talk to a staff member to try out Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or any of the featured Nintendo 3DS games to receive two codes — one for you, and one for a friend (while supplies last). Check back soon for a list of tour locations.
What do you think of Mega Steelix and Mega Glalie? Will you be trying to get into the limited Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire demo?
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire arrive exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS on November 21, 2014.
Follow Riley on Twitter @TheRileyLittle for more news on Pokemon, as well as everything else in gaming.