Pokemon GO is catching on like wildfire, but mastering the mechanics of Gym battling is a little tough. Here's on guide on how to win battles and be the Gym leader in your town.
Pokemon GO is now available on Android and iOS devices in select regions and gamers around the world are flocking to the augmented-reality mobile game. Although the core mechanics and setting are incredibly engaging, and have made Pokemon GO a top-seller in the app store, the tutorials leave something to be desired.
Game Rant has already provided a detailed guide on mastering the basics and reaching level 5, so be sure to read that before worrying about how to master battling. After hitting level 5 in Pokemon GO, players have the chance to visit Gyms and pledge allegiance to one of three teams. At this point, it's time to start battling. Here's everything you need to know about the battle system and mechanics...
When entering an opposing team's Gym, the first thing players will want to do is pick the right lineup of fighters. The gym will display the highest CP Pokemon on top of the tower, so try to take in a team that is able to defeat that type of Pokemon. If you aren't familiar with the rock, paper, scissors Pokemon weaknesses and strengths, a quick search of something like "What is strong against a fire type?" will give a list of answers. Understanding the match-ups makes winning battles a LOT easier, so it's worth taking the time to understand if you're new to the franchise.
The team will default to the player's six highest CP Pokemon, but those may not always be the right options. Be sure to think about the match-ups before entering combat. Swiping left or right will show players which Pokemon are currently stationed at the Gym.
The actual mechanics of fighting is the aspect that will be new to most players, so here is a breakdown of tips...
- Click the screen to use the Pokemon's primary attack. Click it constantly until it's time to use the Pokemon's second ability or a Dodge.
- Keep an eye on the bar under your Pokemon's health that is filling up during the fight.
- When the bar is full, long press the screen to use your Pokemon's second ability. This is like a cool down, so don't ignore it. It's usually very powerful and valuable. Each of these attacks consumes one blue block from the power bar.
- When being attacked, swipe left or right to perform a Dodge. It's very easy to miss this, so make sure this part of the fight isn't ignored. It will make a huge difference when Pokemon start dodging attacks and fights will seem much more winnable.
Those are the basics of fighting, but the real best way to win Gyms is to roll with a squad. When entering a Gym, if another player from your team enters at the same time, the two players will fight the Pokemon together. This makes it much easier to stay in control of the battle and win Gyms without going through your whole lineup of fighters.
Get out there and give it a shot, trainers! Let us know how it's going in the comments.
- How to Level Up
- How to Become a Gym Leader
- How to Win Battles
- How to Get Pokecoins
- How to Catch Pikachu as a Starter
Pokemon GO is now available for Android and iOS in select regions.