Overwatch players who were having issues with Genji's high latency Ultimate problem can now rest easy as the problem has been fixed in the latest patch, along with a series of changes to Competitive Play and various bug fixes across all platforms.
For those who were unaware, Genji previously had a issue with his Dragonblade Ultimate in which the amount of sword swings varied depending on the player's latency - higher latency paradoxically resulted in more swings. In the latest Overwatch patch, this problem has been fixed by increasing Genji's Dragonblade swing speed to compensate for any latency issues, as well as another problem in which Dragonblade hits weren't registering. Aside from Genji, a series of bug fixes were also implemented for D.Va, Pharah, Roadhog, and Soldier: 76 across all platforms.
Moving on from character bug fixes, the second major update in the latest Overwatch patch brings new changes to all Assault and Assault/Escort maps in Competitive Play. Previously, the team with the highest capture percentage would claim the win, and this would be registered by the system as soon as even 1% of the point was captured, resulting in a lot of confusion between players. With this latest patch, teams are now required to capture at least 33% of a point in order to claim the win and a draw will occur should neither team manage to cross the 33% mark.
And lastly, the patch implements a series of Arcade Mode fixes for the Uprising event and general bug fixes across the game.
This update will certainly alleviate some of the recent problems with Overwatch, but players can expect more updates and content very soon. In addition to the usual slate of bug fixes and character balancing, Blizzard have also recently confirmed that six new Overwatch maps are currently in development, as well as additional player support features such as subtitles for hearing-impaired players.
With the Uprising event ending in a few days and the first anniversary of Overwatch's release coming up shortly afterwards, the next few weeks should be very exciting for the community in terms of new content and events, especially with a mysterious “major surprise” to look forward to at E3 2017.
Here are the patch notes for the latest Overwatch update:
Overwatch April 27 Update Patch Notes
- On Assault and Assault/Escort Maps, teams now need to capture at least 33% of the objective before the tie-breaking system is activated.
Developer Comments: When the new tie-breaking system was implemented on April 11, 2017, teams only needed to capture 1% to trigger the system. This occasionally resulted in confusing situations when games would end without a lot of information about how the point was captured, due to the brief capture time. To alleviate this problem, we’re requiring that teams progress past 33% before the tie-breaking system begins tracking progress. If neither team manages to cross 33%, the match will end in a draw.
General bug fixes
- Fixed a crash that could occur during the end-of-round screen.
Arcade bug fixes
- Fixed a bug that prevented the payload from showing damage until after the escort phase in the Overwatch Uprising brawl.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to get under the payload using certain heroes’ movement abilities in the Overwatch Uprising brawl.
- [PC] Fixed a bug that caused the payload’s health bar to interfere with the scoreboard, forcing players to hold down the spacebar to view the scoreboard in the Overwatch Uprising brawl.
- Fixed a bug that caused Genji’s “You’ve rescued me again, Dr. Ziegler” voice line to play after being resurrected in the Overwatch Uprising brawl, regardless of which hero performed the resurrection.
- Fixed an issue causing the chat window to block the ‘refresh’ button when the Overwatch Uprising leaderboards were open.
- [PS4] The “Handle With Care” Achievement now correctly states the payload must remain above 80% health.
- [PS4/XB1] The Overwatch Uprising scorecard now correctly tracks stats from Sombra’s Hack.
- [PS4/XB1] The Overwatch Uprising scorecard now correctly tracks Ana’s healing stats.
Custom games and game browser
- Fixed a bug that prevented the ‘Start Game Mode’ button from appearing when creating a Capture the Flag or Elimination game.
- Fixed a bug that gave Genji’s Dragonblade ability a slightly increased swing speed while at a higher latency. Dragonblade’s default swing speed has been slightly increased to compensate.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Genji’s Dragonblade ability from registering hits correctly.
- Fixed a bug to prevent hit effects from being inflicted on D.Va’s human form while piloting the mech.
- [PS4/XB1] Fixed a bug causing D.Va’s hair to appear inflexible during her Selfie highlight intro when her Palanquin skin was equipped.
- [PS4/XB1] Fixed a bug causing the ice on Pharah’s Frostbite skin to stretch when her Flair emote was activated.
- [PS4/XB1] Fixed a bug causing textures to flicker during Roadhog’s Feast highlight intro.
- [PS4/XB1] Fixed a bug causing Soldier: 76’s cape to clip during the Push-Ups emote when his Strike Commander Morrison, Daredevil: 76, or Stunt Rider: 76 skin was equipped.
- Fixed a bug causing glass that has been shattered by an explosion to be colored black.
Overwatch is now available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.