Developer Just Add Water has been hard at work crafting the HD version of the oft-forgotten about Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. However, after a huge delay, we have finally been given a release date for the title, December 27th, 2011 -- which means those of you who find PSN cards in your stockings will have something to purchase!
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath will hit the PSN for $14.99 and bring with it many upgrades from the original, such as better looking character models, improved voice acting and lusher environments. The game will also be one of the few PSN titles to sport a platinum trophy, and it will take an estimated 12+ hours to complete the game.
The team at Just Add Water also planned to incorporate Move and 3D support at launch. However, neither of these two additions will make it for the game's debut. Those who absolutely must play the game with the Move and/or 3D will have to wait until a future title update. Just Add Water says it will bring both to the game, as well as few other treats.
Updates To Stranger's Wrath:
- All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
- Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
- Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
- New female voices have been recorded for two characters.
- Made Blisterz Booty unkillable.
- All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
- Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
- A lot of environment now reflects in water where it didn’t before.
- Many, many pipes and barrels were rounded.
- New Easter Eggs added to the game.
- Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.
- Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble than seen in the FMV.
- All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
- Support for 5.1, Dolby Digitial and DTS.
- Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, and in widescreen.
- All menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
- New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.
- All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
- Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
- In Easy mode:
- Stranger has twice the health
- Enemies have half the health and stamina
- Enemies’ stamina recovers half as fast
- In Normal Mode:
- Stranger’s health and armour for later in the game have been re-balanced.
- In Hard mode:
- Stranger has a third less health.
- Enemies stamina recovers a third quicker.
- 37 Trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum
- 37 pieces of unlockable concept art
- Five unlockable movies
It's pretty clear from this list that Just Add Water has put quite a lot of work into turning Stranger's Wrath into a title that can compete with today's action/adventure games, which is certainly a good thing. How the game will actually play is another question entirely and we won't know until it releases later this month. But for those who are Oddworld fans, Stranger's Wrath HD is shaping up to be another solid entry into the franchise, even if it is a remake.
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD releases on the PlayStation Network December 27th, 2011.
-Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyMole
Source: PlayStation Blog