The NPD Group recently released their numbers for console and game sales for the month of August. As expected, EA Sports' Madden NFL 11 blew away the competition. What wasn't expected was the boost in PS3 sales numbers.
The Xbox 360 version of Madden 11 sold nearly 921k units in the US, just 7,000 more units then were sold of Madden 10 in August 2009. On the Sony side, Madden sold almost 894k units in the US on PS3. That's almost 230,000 more copies then the PS3 moved last August (665k).
- Madden NFL 11 — Xbox 360 — EA — 920.8K
- Madden NFL 11 — PS3 — EA — 893.6K
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 — Wii — Nintendo — 124.6K
- Mafia 2 — Xbox 360 — Take-Two — 121.6K
- New Super Mario Bros. — DS — Nintendo — 110.4K
- New Super Mario Bros. — Wii — Nintendo
- Mafia 2 — PS3 — Take-Two
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 — Xbox 360 — Activision-Blizzard
- NCAA Football 11 — Xbox 360 — EA
- Wii Fit Plus — Wii — Activision
What could be leading to the boost in sales? I personally think its a mix of two factors. One being obvious, the PS3 continues to creep steadily along to reach its goal of being the top console in this generation. While selling less consoles than the 360 and Wii, it continues to gain sales while the others slowly drop.
The other reason could be people trying to beat the heat of EA's project ten dollar. As you know, project ten dollar is where EA is going to charge people who purchased used copies of game $10 to unlock things that came are locked down to the original purchase. Project ten dollar pops it head up in Madden 11 with charging $10 for access to the online franchise mode for people who purchase pre-owned copies of the game.
- 360: 357K, down 83K (-19.7%)
- DS: 343K, down 55.3K (-13.9%)
- Wii: 244K, down 9.7K (-3.8%)
- PS3: 226K, up 11K (5.1%)
- PSP: 79K, down 4.6K (-5.5%)
Were you one of the nearly 2 million people who picked up Madden this year? If so, which system did you get it for? EA Sports lead in sales last month with NCAA Football 11, do you think they can keep the trend going and win September with NHL 11? Let us hear what you think in the comments.