There’s a new Need for Speed coming out this year after all; although by ‘new’ we really mean it’ll come in a new box with more content and another price tag. You may recall Need for Speed Rivals, last year’s entry in the racing franchise, which put players in control of both cop and racer, a feature that hadn’t been seen since 2011’s Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. Well, the 2013 game is being re-released next month as Need for Speed Rivals Complete Edition to hold gamers over until the next game.
In a press release, EA and Ghost Games announced that players will get the chance to race through Rivals once again, with this version of the game coming with the six previously released DLC packs. The various packs all came with cars for the racer and cop personas, ranging from Lamborghinis to Ferraris to ridiculously fast Koenigsegg One:1.
Our review of Need for Speed Rivals was mostly positive, praising the game for its bold visuals and engaging co-op. However, re-releasing the game with some added DLC is hardly going to draw in those who didn’t play the game the first time around.
The full list of DLC for the game is as follows:
- Ferrari Edition Special Complete Pack – Includes both Cop and Racer versions of these extreme machines – The Ferrari F40 and the Ferrari F50.
- Simply Jaguar Complete Pack – Includes both Cop and Racer versions of the Jaguar C-X75, the most advanced Jaguar ever created, and the Jaguar XJ220 – the world’s first Hypercar.
- Concept Lamborghini Complete Pack – Includes both Cop and Racer versions of the astonishing Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo and the stunning Lamborghini Miura Concept.
- The Koenigsegg Agera One – The Koenigsegg One:1 is in a category of its own. It´s not a Supercar, not a Hypercar…It´s a One:1. The name refers to the almost impossible and highly sought-after ratio of one horsepower per kilogram.
- Complete Movie Pack – Includes Cop and Racer versions of the GTA Spano; and Lamborghini Sesto Elemento. Plus, the Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR 722 Edition as a Cop and the Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR Roadster 722 S as a Racer.
- Loaded Garage Pack – Complete your vehicle collection with the Loaded Garage Pack which includes the Ultimate Cop Pack, Ultimate Racer Pack, Premium Livery Pack, Classic Muscle Livery, Track Day Livery, VIP Matte Kit Livery and Digital Revolution Livery.
Back in May, Ghost Games announced that the series is taking a year off, with the next Need for Speed scheduled to release in 2015. This extra time will hopefully be used to make a better game, one that takes fan feedback into consideration. Said Marcus Nilsson, Executive Producer and GM of the studio at the time:
“We are already deep in development on our next game and want to make this promise to you: we will listen to you. We’re going to give you the game you’ve been asking for. It will be the game you deserve, but to do that will take us some time.”
A year without a new Need for Speed may be exactly what the franchise needs right now. After yearly iterations that included Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted remakes, as well as the lackluster Need for Speed movie, it’ll be nice to have some time away from the series before it comes back (hopefully) bigger than ever.
Need for Speed Rivals Complete Edition releases on October 21, 2014 in North America and October 24, 2014 in Europe for PS4, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC (via Origin).