As we previously reported, Activision is going all out this upcoming Labor Day weekend to promote its upcoming blockbuster title, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, with its new fan event, Call of Duty XP. Intended to appeal to hardcore fans of the series, attendees will witness the first public reveal of the MW3’s multiplayer action and get to experience Activision’s newest Call of Duty Elite service. Additionally, the event will feature a 32-slot, single elimination MW3 tournament where four-player teams will be competing for prizes totaling $1 million dollars.
For those who think they have what it takes, you can enter the qualifying matches online or attempt to secure one of the four Tournament slots that will be filled at the Call of Duty XP event. The top eight teams will receive a money prize and the winning team will split $400,000.
If you fail to qualify for the mega-tourney, no worries. You’ll still be able to compete for prizes while playing Modern Warfare 3’s various multiplayer modes. In these mini-tournaments, 16 teams of four players will compete against each other in a series of 10-minute rounds. Or you can try out the new Spec Ops Survival mode and win prizes by clearing more waves than your opponenets. Lone wolf types will be able to compete in Gauntlets and King of the Hill matches in MW2, Black Ops, World at War and Call of Duty 4. Black Ops Zombie mode will also make an appearance for both team and solo players.
Not only will gamers be treated to hands-on time with MW3, but they’ll also get to experience the following attractions:
- A once-in-a-lifetime chance to paintball firefight across a life-size replica of Modern Warfare 2’s Scrapyard level.
- The opportunity to speed-run the infamous Modern Warfare 2 The Pit training sequence, for real.
- A military-style zip-line plunge across the Call of Duty XP compound.
- Suiting up for one-on-one battle in Juggernaut Sumo.
- Rations and refreshment for sale at Modern Warfare’s 2 iconic Burgertown fast food joint.
- A comprehensive Call of Duty armory and museum, featuring concept art and unique memorabilia from the entire franchise.
- A sneak peek of the new original programming under development exclusively for Call of Duty Elite members. First up is a collaboration with dumbdumb®, the production company led by Will Arnett and Jason Bateman in partnership with Ben Silverman’s Electus Studio. Also newly announced is the sneak peek of the latest Modern Warfare-inspired live-action short by We Can Pretend, the Toronto-based creative team behind this year’s fan-favorite flick Find Makarov, and the next installment of Pro vs. G.I. Joe, where celebrities and gamers face-off against U.S. troops deployed abroad via Xbox Live.
The best part about the event? Each attendee will be provided a code for a free copy of the Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition that can be redeemed on the game’s release date of November 8, 2011.
Call of Duty XP is scheduled to take place in Playa Vista, California, so if you’re not from the Los Angeles area, you’ll have to make your own travel arrangements. Travel packages are available and individual tickets can be purchased for $150, which will cover both days of the event, not including food and beverages. Even though tickets went on sale on July 19th, the event is not sold out so you still have some time to take the plunge. Each individual is limited to two tickets each, so there will be no hoarding of tickets for later resale on Ebay. You won’t be able to bring your younger siblings either, as attendees are required to be 18 years of age or older. On the bright side, you won’t get [email protected] by a 10-year old.
In a classy move, Activision has stated that it is donating 100% of the sales to The Call of Duty Endowment, which is the company’s non-profit operation that helps returning soldiers transition back to civilian life through employment opportunities. If you cannot make the event, but would like to learn more about helping our servicemen, check out the charity’s website here.
For more information about the Call of Duty XP event and for more information on how to qualify for the $1,000,000 tournament, go to www.callofduty.com/xp.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 releases November 8, 2011, for the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.