In spite of the game’s multiple delays, Mighty No. 9 creator Keiji Inafune teases the possibility of a sequel, stating that ‘development of a sequel is already in our minds.’
It’s fair to say that Mighty No. 9 has had a fairly troubled development so far. The title, which was billed as a spiritual successor to Mega Man by acclaimed developer Keiji Inafune, got off to a great start after hitting its Kickstarter goal in just 48 hours, but since then the project has seen numerous delays. In spite of this, it seems as though Inafune and his team have already started having discussions about a sequel.
In an interview with 4Gamer (as translated by Siliconera), Inafune spoke about the potential that Mighty No. 9 has for an ongoing franchise. “Development for a sequel is already in our minds,” said Inafune. “We all share the feeling of we’ll do it even if it doesn’t sell.”
Aside from this plan for another game in the series, Inafune also reiterated plans for Mighty No. 9 to not just be a game, but also be a property in general. “One more thing I’d like to say is that Mighty No. 9 is a [set of] contents,” Infaune explained, stating that the title is “not just a game.” The developer also once more confirmed that Comcept is “moving forward in an anime and live-action film for it.” Hopefully, those video projects will fair better than the game’s much-maligned recent trailer.
Inafune also spoke about the game’s multiple delays. Although Mighty No. 9 has a final release date of June 21, this only happened after the game was pushed back multiple times. “[The reason of delay] was not because we were shorthanded, but due to how we were going to sell it,” said Inafune, “and then biting more than we can chew after declaring that it will be released for all the hardware.”
Mighty No. 9 is not the only Kickstarter-funded passion project to receive heavy delays, however. Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor Yooka-Laylee has recently been delayed, with its launch pushed back to a release window of the first quarter of 2017, while numerous Star Citizen modules have also seen delays. Indeed, the fragility of Kickstarter games is clear for all too see, and in truth only a third of Kickstarter video games truly deliver upon their promises.
With that in mind, the decision for Inafune to discuss the potential of a sequel certainly seems like jumping the gun, and fans who have sat through the game’s multiple delays would no doubt prefer for Inafune and his team to focus on the project at hand. After all, there will be no sequel if Mighty No. 9 fails to live up to the hype, and such plans for the future also depend on a number of external factors. Hopefully, the first game for this Mega Man successor proves to be worth the wait.
Mighty No. 9 will be released on June 21 for PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC, with plans for the game to also be ported to Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita.