Max Payne 3 will be getting a fancy Special Edition for the more passionate fans of the series. Note, it's a Special Edition, and not collector's edition. Rockstar Games wanted to rebel against the status quo and change it up a little bit. Nevertheless, the Special Sdition is available for pre-order now until January 15, 2012, so should the hard boiled cop mean that much to you, get your pre-orders in now.
How much is the Special Edition of Max Payne 3 going to dent wallets? Another $40 (grand total of $100), but for that extra money, players will be receive some real life things to show off on your person and around the home or office, as well as a few in-game items to help deliver some much needed destruction upon the bad guys. Rockstar Games isn't afraid to usher in the return of the New York City cop who's seen/done too much, starting their advertising campaign with a series of videos detailing how they're creating a cutting-edge shooter with Max Payne's return. Combined with the latest Max Payne 3 screenshots, the game is looking promising so far.
Another first for the series will be the inclusion of multiplayer that will be tying into the single player campaign, similar to how Mass Effect 3 is adding their own multiplayer element which can effect the single-player experience. We can already imagine the matches involving lots of shoot dodging and it might even look a little comedic, yet awesome at the same time. What's important is knowing what the extra money will award players with the Max Payne 3 Special Edition:
- A copy of Max Payne 3.
- 10" tall Collectible Max Payne Statue created in a collaboration between TriForce and Rockstar Games.
- Series of game-inspired Original Still Life Art Prints that depict some of Max Payne’s inner demons and vices.
- Copper and brass-plated iron, bullet-shaped Bullet Keychain featuring a screw-off back.
- Classic Multiplayer Character Pack of eight playable multiplayer characters for Max Payne 3. Multiplayer, including fan favorites from the original Max Payne and Max Payne 2 like Max Payne from Max Payne 2, Mona Sax and Vladimir Lem.
- Disorderly Conduct Multiplayer Weapons Pack for Max Payne 3 Multiplayer that includes the Hammerhead Auto Shotgun, G9 Grenade Launcher and Molotov cocktail.
- Max Payne 3 Official Soundtrack featuring the game’s instrumental score.
The real catch here is the insanely impressive statue of Max, posed in that sort of post-gunfight sort of way, perhaps considering the empty gun that sits in his right hand and what mayhem was created with it.
The artwork inspired by the game is enough to spark the creativity of any aspiring writer to endeavor to write some kind of hard boiled detective novel that would do Mickey Spillane or Raymond Chandler proud. Perhaps you'll be writing it while the soundtrack of the game is playing in the background. The composers for Max Payne 2, KÃ¤rtsy Hatakka & Kimmo Kajasto, who gave us the iconic theme song that reflected the game's atmosphere and mood so well, have not been confirmed to return to for the third game yet. Fingers crossed, they do, though.
The remainder of items, like the multiplayer skins and weapons, almost feel expected with Collector/Special Editions these days, and don't really shine as much as everything else. What's really interesting is what the screw-off back bullet keychain. Why have the back be removable at all? Still looks cool, but the functioning is going to be rather mysterious. Hopefully Rockstar Games will avoid any kind of controversy with it, unlike the kind they encountered with the Grand Theft Auto IV baseball bat.
Max Payne 3 releases in March 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
Follow me on Twitter @TrungleFever