New gameplay and story elements for Mass Effect Andromeda leak on Reddit potentially revealing new enemies, squad details, and more details about the main character.
While gamers continue to wait for meaningful details for Mass Effect Andromeda to release, a couple of users on Reddit recently posted a number of leaks from the upcoming game from a source who is familiar with an early build. Please keep in mind that this information has not been verified by BioWare or EA, so take the information with a grain of salt for now. The mods on the Mass Effect subreddit have verified the source’s proof, though the individual specifically requested that someone else post the material, fearing they would be identified.
The leaked gameplay information holds a number of interesting details regarding the story and certain gameplay elements. Here’s a recap of the rumored details:
- The player can have 2 squad mates as before, and a human blonde and a krogan were mentioned specifically by the leaker
- All squad mates will come with jetpacks to help aid in exploration
- Omnitool has more functionality including a combat shield
- Character facial features and models will be much more detailed than before
- Cover is now fully destructible thanks to the Frostbite engine
- The Normandy ship will not be returning
- Potential Mako customization
- The main character may be known as the Pathfinder, which fits with the theme of finding a new home in the galaxy. The player character will also have their own quarters section on the ship
- The old galaxy map will be replaced by a new ship travel system where players manually fly the ship
- Enemies are described as a bipedal cross between Vorcha and the Collectors
- The non-human enemies were described as dropping into combat from Cerberus ships
- One of the antagonists is a human soldier with armor similar to the main character but without the N7 insignia
Mass Effect Andromeda is BioWare’s first game outside of Commander Shepard’s story arc. As such, BioWare is taking its time as it works with completely new characters for players to interact with, a brand new story, and an all new lead character to deliver the biggest Mass Effect game to date. To further help in this effort, BioWare also brought back the writing talents of Drew Karpyshyn, who fans may remember from some of BioWare’s other beloved projects such as the first two Mass Effect games, Neverwinter Nights, and Knights of the Old Republic to name a few.
BioWare has been purposely slow to reveal much about the next game in the franchise, taking their time with very calculated and purposeful reveals. With what little information fans have, Mass Effect Andromeda will feature a human protagonist (whose name may have been revealed thanks to a hidden clue in the N7 Day trailer) as BioWare wants the story to be one that players can relate to. The story also takes place after the events of the previous three games inside of the Andromeda galaxy, which is the Milky Way galaxy’s closest neighbor.
Do these rumored details get you excited to explore the galaxy again? Let us know in the comments below.
Mass Effect Andromeda is currently scheduled for a late 2016 release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.