Yesterday was a pretty good day for Mass Effect 3. BioWare hosted a panel at PAX East, answering some questions, dodging a few others, and there was some great cosplay and some even greater announcements. Topping off a news week where BioWare unveiled their plans for Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, cinematic DLC that fleshes out the game’s controversial and unsatisfactory ending, they also announced free multiplayer DLC with the Resurgence Pack.
Through a leaked screenshot a month earlier, we knew what characters would be coming to Mass Effect 3’s co-op mode, but now we have exact details on the characters, weapons and two new maps launching next week.
The Resurgence DLC is free, but like every other unlockable in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, its contents need to be unlocked through purchasing packs with in-game credits (or through EA’s sketchy microstransactions). There are six new characters, one for each of the six classes and it’ll be the first time Batarians and Geth are playable in the mode.
- Asari Justicar Adept
- Asari are fierce, graceful warriors. They are incredibly powerful natural biotics. The asari excel at hit-and-run tactics that ruthlessly eliminate their opponents from the battlefield.
- Krogan Battlemaster Vanguard
- Krogan Vanguards are a brutish specimen. These fully mature krogan might be old and slow, but their biotic charge ability makes up for it. Their heavy shields and ability in close makes them a menace on the battlefield.
- Geth Infiltrator
- Geth Infiltrators converge quickly on a target while remaining undetected. Their unique perception systems give Geth Infiltrators an unsurpassed understanding of the battlefield.
- Geth Engineer
- Geth Engineers are elite support specialists. Their unique perception systems give Geth Engineers an unsurpassed understanding of the battlefield.
- Batarian Soldier & Sentinel
- Batarians are large brawlers that use nets and spiked weapons to capture targets… or to bleed them dry on the battlefield. If an opponent gets too close, a Batarian bludgeons them with spiked armor and enforcement gauntlets.
Mass Effect 3 ships with only six maps which – in conjunction with there being only one game mode – have made the game become stale after a few weeks of play, so Resurgence also adds a pair of new maps as illustrated in the Mass Effect 3: Resurgence trailer.
Firebase Condor — A warzone outpost located on one of Palaven’s moons, Firebase Condor represents a crucial asset in the defense of the Turian homeworld, providing the beleaguered turian fleet with a place to refuel and repair. Its loss could grant the Reapers unparalleled access to the Inner Council Theater.
Firebase Hydra — Firebase Hydra is located in an old abandoned Quarian colony which humans took over when they originally settled the world of Ontarom. It has since been converted into a massive dam facility which powers the communications hub located at Firebase Dagger and the kinetic barrier which protects it. Without this critical power source, Systems Alliance communications within the entire theater would go dark.
With Batarians, Geth and a new Krogan joining the fray, so to do appropriate weapons for them.
- Striker Assault Rifle — Krogan rifle with explosive rounds. Its rate of fire increases when the trigger is held.
- Kishock Harpoon Gun — Deadly one-shot batarian weapon. Causes bleed-out or disruption of target.
- Geth Plasma SMG — Fully-automatic geth submachine gun. Its rate of fire increases when the trigger is held.
There are also four new consumable power-ups coming with Resurgence, so be sure to check out the Mass Effect 3: Resurgence trailer to see these characters and weapons in action on the two new Firebases.
Operation Beachhead began 6PM PST Thursday April 5 and runs until 5AM PST Tuesday April 10, when this DLC will become available.
Mass Effect 3 is now available for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Follow Rob on Twitter @rob_keyes for more on Mass Effect.