Considering there’s less than two months before the release of EA’s highly-anticipated conclusion to Commander Shepard’s space saga in Mass Effect 3, it’s so surprise that BioWare has opened the information floodgates. We recently discovered that Mass Effect 3 will provide players with an entirely unique story experience as well as much more unpredictable gameplay this round.
Now, EA is using that Mass Effect 3 buzz to buoy their other Q1 RPG offering, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (set for release on February 7th) by enticing gamers with cross-pollinated in-game bonus items – just for playing the Mass Effect 3 and Reckoning demos.
While gameplay details are great, players have been drooling over the potential Mass Effect 3 pre-order bonuses – ready to secure some cool equipment even before the game is out. As a result, it’s easy to imagine that plenty of gamers will be giving this pair of demos a spin.
That said, what will players receive from each game? Check out the full list and descriptions below – followed by images of the items in action.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo item unlocks for Mass Effect 3:
- Reckoner Knight Armor: This armor will maximize damage done in close-quarters combat while a beefed—up power cell feeds energy into weapon systems to increase projectile velocity.
- The Chakram Launcher: This weapon uses a fabricator to manufacture lightweight, explosive ammunition discs. This weapon is earned after completing the Reckoning demo and watching the trailer at the end.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo item unlocks for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning:
- Twist of Fate Card: This card boosts the player’s ice resistance and is immediately unlocked when he or she activates the Reckoning demo using his or her Origin account.
- Twinned Souls Chakram: A unique weapon that damages enemies while boosting player health and mana in Reckoning.
- The Infernal Helm: Unlocked after completing the Reckoning Tutorial Mode, this protective helmet increases players’ fire damage throughout Amalur.
Mass Effect 3 demo item unlocks for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning:
- N7 Armor: Players can unlock special armor inspired by Commander Shepard’s iconic N7 battle armor including Helm, Cuirass, Gauntlets, Chausses and Greaves.
- Onmiblade Daggers: A holographic blade stemming from Commander Shepard’s Omni-Tool, the Omni-blade allows players to stab enemies in close combat. Once players install and play the Mass Effect 3 demo, they will unlock the daggers.
Some gamers will no doubt check out Reckoning just to snag their ME3 wares but the medieval RPG title isn’t just a throwaway EA game – and could actually be one of the more intriguing releases of 2012. Comic Book icon Todd McFarlane was instrumental in the development of the title as was writer writer R. A. Salvatore. However, the game’s successes stretch far beyond visual aesthetics and solid writing – landing it a spot on our Top 25 Most Anticipated Games of 2012 list.
BioWare has yet to unveil an official date for the Mass Effect 3 demo but players can expect to test drive Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on January 17th (three weeks ahead of the game’s release).
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will be released February 7 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Mass Effect 3 will be released on March 6, for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Follow me on Twitter @benkendrick for further updates.