Bioware’s epic action/RPG and Game Rant’s #1 most anticipated game of 2012 is now stepping into the world of Facebook “gaming,” with the application titled Mass Effect 3: Mission Command.
Calling it a ‘game’ might be a stretch however. It essentially starts as a friend-spamming application that, if you have enough friends who participate, will unlock various perks mainly geared towards Xbox 360 players. According to a promotional invite on Facebook, players decisions will determine their rewards — essentially, interacting more with the app will give players more chances to ultimately earn the grand prize, a custom Paragon or Renegade Xbox 360 with Kinect.
The first mission requires players to sign up for the Facebook app. According to the site, if the promotion gets “enough recruits,” up to 100,000 players will receive the Normandy prop for their Xbox Live Avatars. Currently, this is the only mission that is available to players. However, future missions will involve a bit more creativity. For example, next week’s challenge will have players submitting a “pick up” or “rejection” line to Liara for a chance to win early access to the Mass Effect 3 demo.
Here is the full schedule of events for the app, after the previously mentioned first two:
- February 8-10: Visit the EA recruitment application by clicking URL provided in the app. Reward is entry into console sweepstakes.
- February 14-16: Download the free Mass Effect 3 Demo to complete the mission. When 1 million demo downloads have completed, a virtual ME3 avatar t-shirt will unlock for Xbox Live users.
- February 16-18: Create and submit a video featuring yourself using a paragon voice command or the James Carnage voice command, and describe why Mass Effect 3 is “better with Kinect.” Entry winners will receive a free copy of the Xbox 360 collector’s edition of the game and an N7 Soft Shell Jacket.
- February 17-18: Create a video of yourself re-enacting the Liara stasis command or the James Carnage command from Mass Effect 3. Each winner will receive a Mass Effect 3 customized 250GB Xbox 360 Console with Kinect.
- February 20-22: Engineer your best Omniblade, put it on your LEFT hand and go to a public place and tweet a pic with #ME3OmnibladeL to complete the mission. Each winner will receive a Black N7 Elite Armor Striped Hoody.
- February 20-22: Engineer your best Omniblade, put it on your RIGHT hand and go to a public place and tweet a pic with #ME3OmnibladeR to complete the mission. Each winner will receive a Black N7 Elite Armor Striped Hoody.
- February 22-24: Find the Bing Search Easter egg. You must decode the message on Bing during that day and Tweet the password to #ME3BetterwKINECT. Reward is entry into a drawing for a customized Mass Effect 3 Kinect Sensor.
- February 27-29: Pre-order Mass Effect 3 at Gamestop (store or online). Picking up the order between 3/6 and 3/11 will get players $50 off a Kinect Sensor.
- March 3-8: Take a photo of yourself in Gamestop dressed up as male or female Shepard. Email addresses will be provided on the Facebook app. Winners will receive a custom Shep/FemShep and a 250 GB Xbox 360 with Kinect.
It is important to remember that while some of the perks are specifically for Xbox 360 players, this doesn’t preclude PS3 or PC users from taking part in any of the contests for chances to win prizes.
One final perk for Xbox Live users: Silver users who download the demo will automatically be upgraded to Gold until the game is released March 6th. Nice!
Ranters, what do you think of this Facebook app and contest? Will you participate?
Mass Effect 3 will be released March 6, 2012 for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.
Follow me on Twitter @mattrowland1