Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and Kinect integration are still a major point of contention among fans of the series - as some die-hards sell believe that BioWare has prioritized commercial appeal over quality storytelling.
Despite the frustrations of some players, the developer has routinely pointed out that both features are entirely optional and that, while they did spend divvy up company resources to develop the features, neither one will be required in order to get the best possible Mass Effect 3 ending. Now, with an unofficial leak of the full Mass Effect 3 achievement list, we now know that BioWare's commitment to keeping multiplayer and Kinect integration optional extends to the in-game achievement systems as well.
Appearing online over the weekend, the full list of Mass Effect 3 achievements is pretty standard fare for the series - a combination of combat challenges, Perform any combination of 50 biotic combos or tech bursts, character customization, Evolve any of your powers to rank 6, and story progressions, Return to active duty.
As indicated, any achievement that pertains to multiplayer is always accompanied by a single player equivalent - Finish all multiplayer maps on Gold or all single-player missions on Insanity and Reach level 15 in multiplayer or level 50 in single-player, as examples.
Check out the full list of Mass Effect 3 achievements below (MILD SPOILER WARNING):
- Driven (5 points) Return to active duty.
- Bringer of War (10 points) Chase down an assassin.
- Mobilizer (15 points) Bring a veteran officer aboard.
- World Shaker (15 points) Destroy an Atlas dropped from orbit.
- Pathfinder (15 points) Explore a lost city.
- Tunnel Rat (15 points) Survive the swarm.
- Party Crasher (15 points) Sabotage a dreadnought.
- Hard Target (15 points) Call down an orbital strike.
- Saboteur (15 points) Disable a group of fighter squadrons.
- Arbiter (25 points) Win a political stand-off.
- Last Witness (25 points) Extract ancient technology.
- Executioner (25 points) Defeat an old adversary.
- Well Connected (15 points) Send a warning across the galaxy.
- Fact Finder (15 points) Discover an enemy’s monstrous origin.
- Liberator (15 points) Stop a Cerberus kidnapping.
- Problem Solver (15 points) Evacuate a scientific facility.
- Patriot (25 points) Make the final assault.
- Legend (50 points) Mission accomplished.
- Shopaholic (10 points) Visit a store in the single-player campaign.
- Master and Commander (50 points) Deliver most of the Galaxy at War assets to the final conflict.
- Lost and Found (25 points) Dispatch 10 probes to retrieve people or resources in Reaper territory.
- Long Service Medal (50 points) Complete Mass Effect 3 twice, or once with a Mass Effect 2 import.
- Insanity (75 points) Finish the game on Insanity without changing difficulty after leaving Earth.
- A Personal Touch (10 points) Modify a weapon.
- Paramour (25 points) Establish or rekindle a romantic relationship.
- Combined Arms (25 points) Perform any combination of 50 biotic combos or tech bursts.
- Focused (25 points) Evolve any of your powers to rank 6.
- Recruit (10 points) Kill 250 enemies.
- Soldier (15 points) Kill 1,000 enemies.
- Veteran (25 points) Kill 5,000 enemies.
- Bruiser (10 points) Kill 100 enemies with melee attacks.
- Untouchable (10 points) Escape a Reaper in the galaxy map.
- Defender (25 points) Attain the highest level of readiness in each theater of war.
- Overload Specialist (15 points) Overload the shields of 100 enemies.
- Sky High (15 points) Lift 100 enemies off the ground with powers.
- Pyromaniac (15 points) Set 100 enemies on fire with powers.
- Eye of the Hurricane (10 points) Kill a brute while it’s charging you.
- Mail Slot (10 points) Kill 10 guardians with headshots from the front while their shields are raised.
- Hijacker (10 points) Hijack an Atlas mech.
- Giant Killer (10 points) Defeat a harvester.
- Enlisted (5 points) Start a character in multiplayer or customize a character in single-player.
- Tour of Duty (20 points) Finish all multiplayer maps or all N7 missions in single-player.
- Always Prepared (10 points) Obtain two non-customizable suits of armor.
- Tourist (5 points) Complete one multiplayer match or two N7 missions.
- Explorer (15 points) Complete three multiplayer matches or five N7 missions.
- Gunsmith (25 points) Upgrade any weapon to level 10.
- Almost There (15 points) Reach level 15 in multiplayer or level 50 in single-player.
- Peak Condition (25 points) Reach level 20 in multiplayer or level 60 in single-player.
- Battle Scarred (25 points) Promote a multiplayer character to the Galaxy at War or import an ME3 character.
- Unwavering (50 points) Finish all multiplayer maps on Gold or all single-player missions on Insanity.
Unfortunately, just because multiplayer and Kinect integration aren't required doesn't mean that some offline players may not be entirely off the hook. At this point it's unclear to what extent EA's notorious online pass will be implemented in Mass Effect 3 (especially since the game does not allow for local co-op). We know that the online pass will be required for multiplayer; however, it's unclear whether or not some user profile content and information will also need to be unlocked before players can complete a few of the non-story campaign achievements.
That said, given how adamant BioWare appears to be, with regard to not forcing people into multiplayer, it's likely that offline players will be able to complete all the achievements without the online pass or co-op experience. It's just a matter of discovering a bit more about how the "Galaxy at War" and online pass features will be implemented.
Mass Effect 3 releases March 6, 2012 for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.
Follow me on Twitter @benkendrick for further updates.