Now that Peter Jackson’s extended editions of the Lord of the Rings films have finally made it to Blu-ray, fans can turn their collective attention to the latest video game adaptation of the decade old cinematic trilogy. The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is Snowblind Studios’ co-op action RPG take on the material, and while it includes a new cast of heroes, it also crosses over to explore key locations, and interact with important figures, from the films. A brand new trailer shows just how that will play out in the game.
A mixture of clips from the films, rendered cutscenes, and in game footage, the Lord of the Rings: War in the North Movie Touchpoints Trailer traces its heroes’ Northward path and showcases more of the game’s brutal combat. Many of the films’ most splendid locations have been recreated for the game, and players can expect to encounter Aragorn in Bree, Elrond in Rivendell, and Orcs everywhere. Check it out below.
As the trailer makes abundantly clear, players can finally expect to join the War in the North later this year, which potentially puts the game in contention with other big end-of-year releases, like Sony’s Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Tough competition, to be sure, but Warner Bros. Interactive has made sure that War in the North will be packing a mighty Collector’s Edition with which to throw down its enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Or something. Anyhow, the Collector’s Edition certainly appears appropriately majestic. Take a look, and check out the full details below (PS3 and Xbox 360 Collector’s Editions are pictured, though a PC version will also be available).
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North Collector’s Edition includes:
- Ranger of the North Quiver Case.
- War in the North art book featuring concept art of key characters in the game, various enemies and beautiful environments in Middle-earth.
- Inside Look: The Music of War in the North–content includes: interviews and footage of legendary composer Inon Zur at Abbey Road Studios and the E3 2011 Concert event, along with three tracks from the game soundtrack.
- Ranger of the North Avatar for Xbox Live (Xbox 360 sku) – includes the Ranger armor set, helmet, quiver and bow.
- War in the North Theme Pack (PS3 sku) – includes War in the North wallpaper, fonts, icons and much more!
- The Lord of the Rings: War in the North video game.
- SRP: $129.99
There are also a number of retailer specific pre-order bonuses lined up for War in the North.
- Amazon.com: Exclusive to Amazon.com, pre-order the game and get early access to part two of the War in the North Digital Comic written by Brian Wood, illustrated by Simon Coleby and produced by DC Entertainment. The comic book reveals the back story leading up to The Lord of the Rings: War in the North. Players will also receive the Orc Champion sword for in-game use.
- Best Buy: Embark on an Elven adventure with the Elf Theme Pack, equipped with a mystical Elven sword, armor and helmet, and get access to the LothlÃ³rien Challenge map.
- GameStop: Visit the Citadel of the Stars and the Tower of Stone with the Human Theme Pack equipped with an exclusive human sword, armor and battle attire of the Human Ranger, and get access to the Osgiliath Challenge map.
- Target: Immerse yourself in the sounds of Middle-earth with three exclusive tracks from the War in the North soundtrack.
- Toys ‘R’ Us: Receive a limited edition, signed War in the North poster by Jim Lee, and access to download parts one and two of the War in the North Digital Comic at launch.
- Wal-Mart: A Dwarven quest lies ahead for everyone who chooses to pre-order at Wal-Mart; the Dwarf Theme Pack includes an exclusive dwarf sword, armor and helmet.
Though some may question the logic of releasing a new Lord of the Rings game in 2011, the recent Blu-ray releases, and the ravenous consumption of any news concerning Peter Jackson’s currently-in-production The Hobbit, suggest that there is an audience for War in the North. Still, if the game releases right in the heart of the busiest season of the year, it’ll have to face off against a number of extremely high profile competitors (for instance, a little game called Modern Warfare 3 ). Then again, in a season stocked to the gills with shooters, a little hacking and slashing with friends may be just the thing.
Are you looking forward to War in the North? Which pre-order bonus will you go for?
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is coming to the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, but doesn’t have a confirmed release date yet.
Follow me on Twitter @HakenGaken