Nintendo allegedly pulls the official The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild strategy guide from Amazon for containing far too many secrets the company is not yet ready to reveal.
Nintendo is a company known for keeping its cards close to its chest, only disclosing information on upcoming games when the company deems it necessary. With The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nintendo has been generous, delivering copious amounts of media to stir excitement in anticipation for the game. However, it appears the company still likes to be in control of what beans are spilled.
According to VG247, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Piggyback Collector’s Edition strategy guide was pulled from the Amazon UK store because, they assume, it revealed too much for Nintendo’s liking. The site reports that the guide was available for pre-order over the weekend, but the product page is now displaying a 404 error, indicating it was pulled from the store.
While this may be true of the UK site, a simple search on Amazon U.S. shows the guide is not available for pre-order, but the product’s page and description are still very much there, printed in full. It’s curious, then, that guide was pulled from one version of the site and not the other.
Why would anyone assume Nintendo pulled the product themselves? It’s not quite clear. The information doesn’t expose anything too revealing. The description details the number of shrines, Korok seed puzzles, and side quests, but aside from some numbers, there isn’t anything significant. However, if simply knowing how many quests are available in the game qualifies as a spoiler to some readers, then they should avert their eyes before reading the description below lest they be tainted.
- COLLECTOR’S EDITION BONUS: Premium hardcover, large-size map poster and dedicated 16-page retrospective celebrating thirty years of Zelda games.
- AT-A-GLANCE WALKTHROUGHS: Annotated maps and screenshots show you the way through every quest and dungeon.
- UTTERLY COMPREHENSIVE: 120 Shrine mini-dungeons, 900 Korok seed puzzles, 76 side quests – all mapped out and ready for you to discover and complete! Also includes optional challenges, mini-games, unlockables, Easter eggs, and more.
- PUZZLE MASTER: Every single puzzle and riddle unraveled with clear, visual solutions.
- EXPERT COMBAT STRATEGY: Practical, reproducible tactics to crush your enemies, even the toughest bosses.
- COMPREHENSIVE REFERENCE: Exhaustive appraisals of all items and monsters – including key parameters that are hidden in the game.
- EXTRA LARGE MAP POSTER: covering the entire game world.
- QUALITY CONTROL: carefully designed to avoid unnecessary story spoilers.
Ironically, considering the nature of this article, the guide’s description lists its ability to avoid spoilers as a main draw. In this, they were successful. Nothing about the story is even mentioned in the description, which is a relief to many, surely.
We may not ever find out why the guide was pulled from Amazon UK, but its fate is clearly not intertwined with the standard Amazon store where the guide has remained untouched.
In related news, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been revealed to have more than one ending, which is a first for the series. Additionally, the latest Zelda will be the last Nintendo-developed game for the Wii U, Nintendo’s previous system that officially ended production recently.
For those who enjoy some minor spoilers, fans have translated the map that comes with the limited edition versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It reveals a bit of the backstory for the game, but manages to not divulge too much, which is likely what Nintendo intended.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will launch March 3, 2017 on Nintendo Switch and Wii U.