After Grand Theft Auto 5 hit store shelves in mid-September, it didn’t take long for Rockstar’s latest to assert its dominance. Charting in the mid-to-high range of review scores and ranking in millions in its first 24 hours of release, Grand Theft Auto 5 proved to be another blockbuster hit for Take-Two Interactive.
Yet, unlike past iterations, Grand Theft Auto 5 launched with the promise of a persistent multiplayer experience in the form of GTA Online. Yes, the franchise has offered online play before, but not like this. Unfortunately, what soon followed in early October was far from perfect.
However, now that Grand Theft Auto Online has finally (fingers crossed) found its footing thanks to a bevy of updates and a compensatory Stimulus Package, it’s time for Rockstar to show just how long-lasting the experience will be. And that will start with the release of the Beach Bum Pack on November 19th.
Although we have already heard sparse details about the Beach Bum Pack, Rockstar has taken it upon themselves to provide a comprehensive overview of the DLC’s new additions and they have included a few screenshots to boot.
As can be expected of a DLC offering titled the Beach Bum Pack, this first expansion introduces a few beach and water-themed vehicles into the mix, as well as some beach-specific jobs. On top of that, the pack also adds a few new stylistic choices for players’ GTA Online character, and two new weapons to for good measure.
The four new vehicles added by the Beach Bum Pack are the BF Bifta dune buggy, the Canis Kalahari off-road truck, the Bravado Paradise beach camper, and the Speeder speedboat, and will available in both GTA Online and the GTA 5 story mode. For GTA 5 proper, players can find the new vehicles in their garage and Marina properties, and they are free of charge. For GTA Online, the vehicles are, again, free of charge and can be found either at southernsanandreassuperautos.com (for land vehicles) or docktease.com (for water vehicles.
Rockstar has apparently brought forth a solid offering of new jobs for GTA Online so they have not detailed them in full. They have, however, highlighted some of their favorite, which you can learn more about below:
- “Grass Route II” (Race): In this sequel to the original popular Grass Route Race, go off-road in an epic heat starting on the North bank of the Zancudo River through the treacherous wetlands with a triumphant finish on the beach in North Chumash.
- “Survival on Del Perro Pier” (Survival): Skip the ferris wheel for a deadlier kind of thrill ride as you take on waves of relentless enemies at this beachfront attraction.
- “View of Vespucci” (Parachuting): This leap sends you from 2,980 feet, down towards Vespucci Beach, weaving through palm trees to land on the basketball courts of the rec center. If you’ve got skills, it’s possible to freefall through the first few checkpoints before even opening your chute.
- “Paleto Beach” (Team Deathmatch): The locals complain that not a lot happens in this sleepy town, so do them a favor and wake ’em up with a barrage of gunfire exchanged between you and a rival team. This Team Deathmatch takes place right on the romantic shoreline for 4-8 players.
- “Sundae Driving” (Bike Race): Sure to be a new fan-favorite motorbike race, menace Vespucci Beach on your two-wheel rocket, taking breakneck corners as you try and best the competition.
And finally, the new weapons added to GTA Online are the SNS pistol and the broken bottle melee weapon. The SNS pistol looks to be an ultra small handgun perfect for up close skirmishes, but if players are going to be getting too close they might want to opt for the broken bottle for a nice change of pace.
All of the Beach Bum content will automatically be added to GTA Online and GTA 5 through update 1.06, which is slated to go live on November 19th. After that, Rockstar Games has a few more additions in store for GTA Online players including the new Content Creator, cooperative heists, a Capture the Flag-type mode, and more content for the Grand Theft Auto 5 story mode.
What do you think of the Beach Bum pack as a whole? What entices you the most?
Grand Theft Auto 5 is out now for the PS3 and Xbox 360.