Last week came the momentous news that Rockstar Games would finally be revealing one of the most anticipated games ever: Grand Theft Auto 5. That unveiling, in the form of a trailer, happens Wednesday and every day since Rockstar put the GTAV countdown trailer on their homepage has been another day full of rumors and speculation.
So far, we've heard that the game's story may be set in Los Angeles, we learned that it's visuals and animations may be analogous to Eight Days and we've analyzed the Grand Theft Auto V logo for hints. Now, after sharing our desires for what we want in Grand Theft Auto 5, it's now time for more rumors, these ones focusing on story spoilers and multiplayer features!
Before we get into the details, it must be said that we don't really believe these rumors due to their source. Save and Quit got them off of an "anonymous user on 4chan claiming to have connections to Rockstar Games" so take from this what you will and look at it as a discussion piece.
The rumored details state that Grand Theft Auto 5 will return to a larger, more detailed San Andreas, the fictional city and a far cry from real-world LA that seems to be the current, more legit rumor.
- The protagonist is Hispanic and his name is Adrian.
- It takes place in San Andreas in 2012. The Mayan end of the world is parodied a lot because of this.
- The timeline continues off of GTA 4. It is referenced a lot. I’m not really sure whether Niko dies but he’s mentioned at least twice.
- You start out in Los Santos and are in your rival’s turf, Varrios Los Aztecas, after getting beaten up and robbed.
- The game revolves around money in a big deal. I’d reveal the big idea, but I don’t want to ruin it.
- Multiplayer is in again. There are a couple of new game modes, co-op story, and 32-player game modes for consoles and 64 player for PC. PC also includes dedicated servers.
- PC comes out on launch and is being ported by Leeds. From what they have shown us it is optimized much better than GTA 4.
- San Andreas includes all the same cities from GTA SA and this time they have all became a bit bigger as well as much more detailed.
- Gang turf wars are back. This time not only the general gang are in charge but different sets such as57th Ballas or the Eastside Azteca. They have their own graffiti. You can tag up stuff with custom sprays now too.
- Car modding is back so is low-riding of course.
- Military has returned in the 6-star wanted level except they are referred to as National Guard.
- Cover system is upgraded and plays more smoothly.
- More girlfriends.
- The moral decisions you saw in GTA IV have more effect on the story now. There are a total of 4 unique endings: 2 bad, 2 good. Whether the protagonist dies in all of them you’ll just have to figure out since the endings are actually pretty cool.
- Fun cheats are back!
- There are 9 radio stations. It features a range of music. Some of the rap is new, some is old. There’s a better selection than GTA 4 though IMO.
The following two details we separated because they are *SPOILERS* if they turn out to be true. Do not read ahead if you wish not to be spoiled - you've been warned.
- In the end, your protagonist dies once again like in Red Dead Redemption. Afterwards you play as his brother who inherits the money.
- "The money" I refer to comes from a massive drug trade that ships to San Andreas. Its fought over a lot throughout the story and it comes with lots of money. It has ties to your family so it becomes a bigger deal.
So, whether or not these are true, it's interesting to see some of these key details directly address some of the points we made on Game Rant's What We Want From Grand Theft Auto 5 list, specifically the coop gameplay, improved control scheme and a few features taken from Just Cause 2.
While coop may be one of the more difficult gameplay changes for Rockstar implement, it may be the most rewarding for gamers. Imagine robbing a bank and running out only to find your friend pulling up in the getaway vehicle. One drives, one shoots. I want to play that game.
We'll find out in two days with Rockstar Games releases the very first Grand Theft Auto V trailer and we hope it's revealing and not just a tease.
Follow me on Twitter @rob_keyes.
Source: Save and Quit