As we reach less than a month until Rockstar Games releases Grand Theft Auto 5, the company has by now completely ditched their habit of doling out information at a snail’s pace and has been making it rain with some wild images and an immense wealth of details about everything we need to know about GTA5 online multiplayer. Now, even if it was the result of a leak, we know what we can expect as far as achievements and trophies are concerned.
With an open in-game world slated to be larger than Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas combined (and larger than real-life Manhattan), it would most certainly be a letdown if the studio had offered an underwhelming number of achievements in Grand Theft Auto 5. To that end, Rockstar delivered (sort of).
Recently, the following list came to light. Overall, 38 of these achievements have been plainly laid out on the Xbox360Achievements.org website, and 11 are secret achievements, featuring the usual description of “continue playing to unlock this secret achievement” with each one.
The known achievements and trophies are as follows:
- Solid Gold, Baby! (50 points) — Earn 70 Gold Medals on Missions and Strangers and Freaks.
- Career Criminal (100 points) — Attain 100% Game Completion.
- San Andreas Sightseer (30 points) — Explore all of Los Santos and Blaine County.
- All’s Fare in Love and War (10 points) — Purchase Downtown Cab Co. and complete a private fare.
- TP Industries Arms Race (10 points) — Purchase McKenzie Field Hangar and win the arms race.
- Multi-Disciplined (30 points) — Attain a gold medal in all applicable hobbies and pastimes.
- From Beyond the Stars (15 points) — Collect and return all spaceship parts.
- A Mystery, Solved (15 points) — Solve the mystery of Leonora Johnson.
- Waste Management (15 points) — Purchase the old dock and collect all nuclear waste.
- Red Mist (20 points) — Complete all Rampages.
- Show Off (30 points) — Complete all Stunt Jumps.
- Kifflom! (30 points) — Complete your path to enlightenment… or not.
- Three Man Army (20 points) — Survive 3 minutes on at least a 3 star Wanted Level with all three characters together off mission.
- Out of Your Depth (5 points) — You’re gonna need a bigger boat…
- Altruist Acolyte (5 points) — Deliver an unsuspecting victim to the Altruist Cult.
- A Lot of Cheddar (20 points) — Spend a total of $200 million across all three characters.
- Trading Pure Alpha (10 points) — Make a profit over your total investments in the stock market.
- Pimp My Sidearm (10 points) — Fully mod a weapon.
- Wanted: Alive Or Alive (10 points) — Deliver a bail bond target alive.
- Los Santos Customs (10 points) — Fully mod a vehicle.
- Close Shave (20 points) — Complete all Under the Bridge and Knife Flight challenges.
- Off the Plane (5 points) — GTA Online: Complete the Introduction.
- Three-Bit Gangster (10 points) — GTA Online: Reach Rank 25.
- Making Moves (30 points) — GTA Online: Reach Rank 50.
- Above the Law (80 points) — GTA Online: Reach Rank 100.
- Numero Uno (20 points) — GTA Online: Obtain first place in all competitive game types.
- The Midnight Club (20 points) — GTA Online: Use custom vehicles to win 5 races.
- Unnatural Selection (20 points) — GTA Online: Complete all 10 waves of a Survival.
- Backseat Driver (10 points) — GTA Online: Direct a driver to 1st place as co-driver in Rally Mode.
- Run Like The Wind (20 points) — GTA Online: Survive for a day with a Bounty on your head.
- Clean Sweep (10 points) — GTA Online: Finish a Gang Attack without dying and kill at least 10 enemies.
- Decorated (50 points) — GTA Online: Earn 30 Platinum Awards.
- Stick Up Kid (10 points) — GTA Online: Hold up all 20 Stores.
- Enjoy Your Stay (20 points) — GTA Online: Participate in everything Los Santos has to offer.
- Crew Cut (5 points) — GTA Online: Complete a Job as a member of a Crew.
- Full Refund (10 points) — GTA Online: Kill the thief that mugged you.
- Dialling Digits (5 points) — GTA Online: Call for gang backup for the first time.
- American Dream (10 points) — GTA Online: Own an Apartment, Garage and an Insured Vehicle.
Much of these achievements are typical video game and Rockstar standards, like your usual completion achievements, as well as ones related to mods, exploration, races, stunt jumps and bounties. However, there are also several telling take-aways. Certain entries, while not true spoilers or game-ruiners, reveal specific details of plot. While there are obvious listings like the chilling “Out of Your Depth,” which confirms that you’ll have to actually deal with sharks personally unlike in San Andreas and Vice City, there are also some rather obscure ones like “A Mystery, Solved,” weird ones like “Altruist Acolyte” and others where certain assumptions can reasonably be made. Will “All’s Fare In Love And War” finally provide an opportunity to play as a psycho cab-driver for as long as you want?
The list, and the wording of certain entries, also leaves a lot of ambiguity on the table. In “Full Refund,” is it notable that it says “kill the thief” as opposed to “kill a thief?” What does “… or not” in the “Kifflom!” achievement mean? What significance will “nuclear waste” have?
The reveal of collectible nuclear waste also confirms that collection missions like the polarizing “Endangered Species” achievement from Grand Theft Auto 4 and the tasks of collecting rubber bands and transistors from “Bully: Scholarship Edition” for 100% completion are still alive and well. In addition to collecting nuclear waste, gamers will also have to find all of the “spaceship parts” on the map. You’ll have to figure that one out.
While this list may be irritating to people who enjoy round numbers, it should be a boon for everybody else. Of course, in comparison to other games, it might be a minor disappointment, especially since 11 of the achievements are still secret and 17 are only available in online multiplayer. GTA IV, which is allegedly only a 10th the size of GTA V, offered 65 versus GTA V’s 49. LA Noire had 60 while Red Dead Redemption had an incredible 95.
Grand Theft Auto 5 will be released September 17th, 2013 for the PS3 and the Xbox 360.
Follow Reubnick on Twitter @Reubnick