If you are feeling a little bit bummed out after hearing that Cliff Bleszinski won’t be making his scheduled appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon – cheer up, because we have some news that might just help you turn that frown upside-down.
The folks over at Edge are reporting that they have the first gameplay details on the as-of-yet unannounced shooter-sequel, Gears of War 3. The information leak comes from a ‘trusted US publishing source.’
Apparently, Gears of War developer Epic Games is looking to evolve the classic Gears combat with a number of new innovations to their highly praised and influential cover system.
The juicy new details are as follows:
- The game will feature a new type of Locust which will have tentacle-like limbs. These new foes will be able to reach out to player cover spots.
- COG troopers will now carry explosives that can tunnel down beneath the ground to destroy enemy cover positions in the distance.
- Gone are the days of pushing around burned-out cars, as mobile cover will now be provided in the form of mech suits that not only serve to protect Marcus and the guys, but will be more than well-equipped, and ready to dish out some some serious damage.
- All the new cover system innovations will be implemented in both the single player campaign and the multiplayer portion of the game.
- The game will take place in the summer months, and will feature brand new environments for the series, one of which will be underwater – so it looks as though Marcus and the gang will be getting wet.
While none of this is officially confirmed information, it does sound extremely plausible – Gears of War 3 has yet to be officially announced, but there are strong murmurings that it is in development. And of course, why wouldn’t it be? It’s a sure-fire money making IP for Microsoft and Epic, up there alongside Halo and Call of Duty. As to when we’ll get an official announcement – who knows? But, I for one will be tuning into Tonight with Jimmy Fallon next Monday night.
What do you think of the new details? Are these the gameplay changes that you want from the next Gears of War?