The Gears of War 3 beta, although technically over is still online for Team Deathmatch, and Gears fans are likely a little down in the dumps knowing that they won’t be able to play more of the game again until it releases in September. Fortunately, Epic Games feels your pain and that’s why they’ve been kind enough to finally reveal what will come in each version of Gears of War 3 when it finally launches on September 20th.
The contents of the limited edition versions of Gears of War 3 have remained a secret for quite some time, and some loyal fans even pre-ordered the $150 Epic Edition without even knowing what came with it just to get in on the Gears 3 beta. There will be no more mysteries surrounding what comes with all editions of the sure-to-be smash-hit Gears 3. Fans who have already thrown down their money shouldn’t be disappointed, but you can be the judge of that for yourself.
Check out all of the exclusive content available to those who pickup the Epic and Limited Editions of Gears of War 3 right here.
Limited Edition ($79.99 US) — The must-have for fans who want to celebrate the culmination of the trilogy, the Limited Edition includes:
- An Octus Award Box with Octus Service Medal — A 1:1 match in size and weight, this zinc-alloy cog-shaped medal replicates the award given to Adam Fenix in recognition of his work on the Hammer of Dawn. Dimensions: 77 mm (3 in.) x 10 mm (0.4 in.)
- Exclusive Unlockable Adam Fenix Multiplayer Character — Each Octus Service Medal replica is engraved with a unique Xbox LIVE code that is the only way to unlock Adam Fenix in multiplayer.
- A fabric COG Flag — Proud colors that once flew above the House of Sovereigns.
- The personal effects of Adam Fenix, including his “Last Will and Testament,” the initial Hammer of Dawn schematic, and other Fenix family mementos.
Epic Edition ($149.99 US) — The ultimate collection for hardcore fans who can’t get enough “Gears of War 3,” the Epic Edition includes:
- A Limited Edition Marcus Fenix Statue — Designed by Epic Games Art Director Chris Perna and expertly crafted by the artisans at Triforce, this fine PVC statue collectible makes the ultimate living room centerpiece for any true “Gears” fan. [Dimensions: height 285 mm (11.2 in.), diameter 225 mm (8.9 in.). Weight: 1.7 kg (3.7 lb.)]
- The Art and Design of Gears of War by Tom Bissell – Through unprecedented access to the Epic Games team, acclaimed author Tom Bissell (Extra Lives) gives readers an incisive behind-the-scenes glimpse into one of the most celebrated sagas in video game history with 96 pages of interviews, photos, concept artwork and more.
- Infected Omen Weapon Pack — Custom multiplayer skins for the game’s five starting weapons; Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Sawed-off Shotgun, and Gnasher Shotgun.
- All the contents of the “Gears of War 3” Limited Edition.
That is certainly a ton of exclusive content for those who pickup either edition of the extremely popular series, and it should certainly appeal to the most hardcore Gears of War fans. It’s also the first time that we will physically see Adam Fenix — the father of the trilogy’s main protagonist Marcus Fenix — in the actual game. Not only will we see him but we’ll be able to play as him too, so that should be a good time.
You can get a closer look at the final looks of the Epic and Limited Edition of Gears of War 3, as well as the first image of an in-game Adam Fenix in the gallery below.
The final bit of information that accompanied all of these announcements is a little vignette, detailing the creation of the Epic Edition’s Marcus Fenix statue featuring none other than the statue’s designer Chris Perna. He goes into detail regarding what influenced him when he designed some of the Locusts for the Gears of War series, and how he is excited but sad to see the beloved trilogy come to an end this September.
Every edition made available for Gears of War 3 looks very interesting, and even though a majority of the people will likely pass on the more expensive limited editions they are still a very nice option for each level of fan. One thing is for sure, no matter which version you purchase at launch you should more than enjoy your time playing this game.
What do you think of the Epic and Limited Editions of Gears of War 3? Will you be purchasing either or neither?
Follow me on Twitter @GnarleySquid