IllFonic has released a new patch for Friday the 13th, with the update adding a new map, a new Jason, and several combined changes that ultimately make the camp counselors much weaker. Gamers already knew that the new patch would make Jason stronger as a whole, but it wasn’t known that counselors in Friday the 13th would get nerfed at the same time Jason received a significant buff.
A post on the official forums revealed that pocket knives are now far less available throughout each map, though certain special counselors would still be able to spawn with them. There will also be less frequent spawning for items like medical spray, wrenches, and machetes. In contrast, Jason will now spawn with 2 additional throwing knives, and both his movement speed and grabbing range have been slightly increased. In short, it’s a lot more terrifying to be a camp counselor again.
As of now, both the new Jason and the Pinehurst map are available for both online and offline play with no minimum level requirement. The map contains 3 new grab kills, titled “Hedge Trimmer”, “Last Breath”, and “You’re so Vein”, a campy reference to the old ’70s Carly Simon hit song. The update also brings an unlockable grab kill called “Rugby Player”, though players will need to spend 2500CP and be level 108 to unlock it.
Here’s the full list of bug fixes and changes for Friday the 13th:
- Reduced the amount of Pocket Knives and Medical Sprays that can spawn per match
- Adjusted the amount of available spawns per match for each weapon
- Addressed several issues that were causing players to become interaction locked
- Fixed a bug that caused Bear Traps to disappear when disarmed by a counselor
- Fixed a bug related to the “The Final Chapter” achievement that was causing players to crash
- Jason will now begin each match equipped with 2 additional throwing knives
- Jason’s movement speed has been slightly increased
- Jason’s grab range and cone has been slightly increased
- Players can once again access the bloody skin for Savini Jason
- Fixed a bug that allowed Jason’s character model to rotate while knocked down
- The grab kills “Free Kick” and “Disarm” will now properly grant Versatile experience
- Fixed a bug where, if a player interacted with a window in a certain way, the window would break and incorrectly cause damage to the player
- Fixed inconsistencies that were appearing in several counselor models
- The Fuse will no longer be able to spawn in the same building as the Phone Box
- Addressed several exploit locations on all maps
- Made adjustments to several locations that were causing the objectives/repair parts spawns to be inaccessible
- Fixed several bugs related to the boat flipping mechanic
- Made many improvements and bug fixes to the bot AI in Offline Bots
- Restart function added to the pause menu in Offline Bots
- Fixed a bug causing the end score screen to incorrectly show badge progression in Offline Bots
- Note: Badges can not be obtained through Offline Bots
- Added servers for South America and Australia [PC]
- Added region auto-detection [PC]
- Players should once again be able to hear the sound of weapons and items being dropped
- The grab kill “Free Kick” will now properly take into account the user’s audio settings
It’s clear that IllFonic is making some drastic moves in order to keep its players coming back for more. It’s now do or die time (moreso than usual) for Friday the 13th, especially since its launch hype is now months behind it. Many gamers were disappointed with the game’s early day server issues and the ongoing rampant cheating, and now that many steps have been made to improve the experience, it’ll be interesting to see if Jason himself will be able to survive 2018.
Friday the 13th: The Game is available now for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.