Comic book fans – rejoice! I come bearing yet even more details on the just-announced beat ’em up, mash-up, Marvel vs. Capcom 3. In the past 24 hours we’ve been treated to some leaked early details, and the first look at the announcement trailer, but now the embargo has been lifted and we’ve got the first official details straight from MvC3 producer Ryoto Niitsuma – who described the upcoming fighter as a “comic book page come to life”.
Speaking at Capcom’s annual press event, Captivate 10, Niitsuma divulged the following details:
- The game’s full title is the epic-sounding, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: The Fate of Two Worlds – and it will be available on both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with Capcom shooting for a release in Spring 2011.
- The dev team is aiming to include more than 30 fighters in the game, the first of which to be confirmed are Ryu, Morrigan, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk and Chris Redfield. Although, Captain America, Dr. Doom, Deadpool, Felicia, and Chun Li have all been strongly rumoured to appear in the roster.
- The game will be built using an advanced version of MT Framework, which is the same engine used in Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2. Capcom says this will bring beautiful backgrounds and character animations to the forefront.
- Gameplay will be wild and over-the-top – complete with signature aerial combos, hyper combos and other original systems.
- 3-on-3 tag team action will be returning, allowing players to build their own perfect team, using Assist Attacks and each character’s special moves to create their own unique fighting style.
- The finished game is aiming to have over 100 pieces of music, including originals as well as remixes of familiar favourites – Fingers crossed for a version MvC2 classic, ‘Take You For a Ride’.
As for when we’ll get a chance to see the game in action, Niitsuma said the team is working hard to make a splash at this years E3 – which would corroborate with the rumours that a build will be playable on the show floor in June. I personally can’t wait to see some in-game footage, as I think this game has the potential to be mind-blowingly epic.
Are you excited to get your hands on an updated Marvel vs. Capcom title? Whose silhouette can you spot in the artwork above?
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: The Fate of Two Worlds is due for release in Spring 2011 for Xbox 360 & PS3.