Far Cry 3 was one of Game Rant’s favorite games of 2012 (and best co-op games) and while it let players become immersed in a beautiful yet dangerous tropical island, it didn’t give them a way continue enjoying the lands once the main story was completed and the outposts secured. No ‘New Game Plus’ mode or a way of playing again at an even greater difficulty with the protagonist Jason Brody’s new arsenal of weapons and lethal skills.
The latest Far Cry 3 patch rectifies this issue, along with many others, in response to community feedback, while the game’s lead writer Jeffrey Yohalem teases a continuation of the game.
In chatting with Joystiq, Yohalem addressed the topic of another Far Cry experience coming much sooner than the lengthy four-year wait in between Far Cry 2 & 3:
“Yes. I’m working on something now that will be surprising, I think, when it’s announced. But it definitely is a ‘strike while the iron’s hot’ thing, and we’ll see.”
By “surprising,” Yohalem seems to be dismissing the possibility that what he’s working on is standard DLC content, so what is he referring to? Likely, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, a downloadable game that appeared on the Brazilian classification ratings board recently.
It’s a first-person shooter listed for the same platforms as Far Cry 3 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) and so it seems the story of Jason Brody isn’t quite over. Or, the standalone downloadable could explore more of the story behind the game’s poster boy and fan-favorite character of Vaas, a character who was sadly entirely underutilized in the main game.
As for the game we know about and love, here are the key additions coming with the new patch (full patch notes on page 2) along with screenshots:
- Outposts reset: after the end of the game, players can choose to reset the liberated outposts to face the challenge to take them over again.
- A new difficulty setting: Players who have completed the campaign can restart the adventure on MASTER difficulty, with more challenging enemies and dangerous wildlife.
- New HUD/UK settings: allowing most on-screen information can be toggled on/off in the settings.
- Map Beta Test: Players who upload a new map can now publish it as a beta test to monitor how it is played and improve it before releasing to other players.
- Maps by author: Players will be able to search all the maps created by an author.
- Idle kick: The feature that kicks out idle players during a MP match is removed from custom and private matches.
- The Skip map voting system has been improved with more visibility and time to cast the vote
What do you want Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon to be about and what would you like to see in Far Cry 4? Follow me on Twitter @rob_keyes and let me know!
Far Cry 3 is currently available on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.