The latest issue of PC Gamer features a pretty hefty article on Fallout: New Vegas and we’ve got all the juicy details right here.
This is the first time we’ve heard any confirmed details on the upcoming post-apocalyptic role player, although last week we did get to see the official teaser trailer – so it finally looks as though the marketing machine is getting into gear.
The article also includes the first look at some in game screenshots – a handful of which I have included below.
Be warned, some of the following information could be considered (tiny) spoilers, I personally don’t think there’s much to worry about – so check them out!
- The game features an optional hardcore mode, where the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, and healing isn’t instant, etc.
- The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar’s Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
- The game is set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn’t get hit by many nukes meaning that more buildings remain intact, as well as desert vegetation.
- You don’t play as a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one), but a courier who was left for dead but saved by a friendly robot. But this doesn’t mean you won’t be able to sport a vault suit in the game.
- There is an assault rifle that looks like a M4, as well as a new big gun with a backpack, held like a minigun.
- There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS – specifically a move for a golf club called “Fore” which seems to be a groin shot.
- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
- Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like “follow,” “stay,” or “attack.”
- The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
- There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion.
- The Geckos are back.
- There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
- Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.
- Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul an NCR Ranger.
- Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, satellite dishes, and an array of solar panels.
- A character generation shot showing a “vigour machine” instead of the skill book.
- NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar’s Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter.
- NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger.
- Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices – e.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a conversation about explosives where appropriate.
- There is a Reputation system in addition to Karma.
So there you have it guys, what do you make of the new info and screens? I personally think it looks fantastic and can’t wait for the game to be released.
Fallout: New Vegas is scheduled to be released for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC sometime in Fall 2010.
Source: PC Gamer via All Games Beta