CCP Games’ ambitious shooter DUST 514 is set to release later this year, though gamers have a chance to play it this week. Those who purchase the Mercenary Pack will get guaranteed access to all beta waves in addition to a myriad of additional content.
The Mercenary Pack launches tonight on the PSN for $20 (tomorrow in Europe for â‚¬17.99 /£13.99) and brings with it plenty of extra content for DUST 514 players. Gamers will have access to in-game currency and items, such as the Dragonfly Scout Dropsuit and Toxin’ ICD-9 Submachine Gun – both of which have unlimited use.
As we already mentioned, Mercenary Pack owners will have guaranteed beta access, allowing them to play the game starting June 28th. These players will be able to play during every beta event, as well as during “off weekends.” In addition, participants will also be rewarded with exclusive dropsuits for each beta event.
Check out all of the contents of the Mercenary Pack, as well as some new screenshots of the game below:
The contents for the Mercenary Pack are:
- 4,000 Aurum ($20 value) – the in-game currency for DUST 514 that you can buy in the PS Store
- 30-Day Active Skill Booster – increases earned Skill Points (SP) by 50%
- ‘Dragonfly’ Scout Dropsuit – a uniquely designed armor with unlimited use
- ‘Toxin’ ICD-9 Submachine Gun with unlimited use and a custom skin
- HK4M Shotgun x 50
- Hacked Drop Uplink x 50 – allows players to create on-the-spot spawn points for their teammates
- Fused Locus Grenade x 50
- 1.5dn Myofibril Stimulant x 50 – offers players a temporary melee damage boost against opponents
- All Access Beta Pass – allows players to participate in every Beta Event, as well as additional play sessions during off weekends
Some gamers might view charging for beta access as greedy, but really, the beta is just icing on the cake. Included in the pack is $20 worth of in-game credits, which CCP originally planned to charge players. Now, players can still get those credits in addition to a few sweet bonuses. It’s a smart move, and one that was similarly utilized by Mojang with Minecraft. Dust 514 players might be paying to test the game, but they’ll still be able to enjoy the full product without having to pay another cent.
Those strapped for cash can also sign up for the beta on the DUST 514 website, though participants are chosen randomly and will not be guaranteed a spot.
DUST 514 releases in 2012, exclusively for the PS3.
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyMole.