At Capcom's yearly Captivate event, one of the most exciting games announced was an open-world action title by the name of Dragon's Dogma. Considering this is Capcom's first foray into the open-world high fantasy genre, they have enlisted two of their most prodigious and fruitful employees to lead the production of Dragon's Dogma. These two creators are the producer, Hiroyuki Kobayashi, and the director, Hideaki Itsuno. You may recognize these names from some of Capcom's more famous franchises, such as Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.
The open-world has arguably been dominated by Bethesda for years, and with Skyrim just around the corner, this is a very bold move by Capcom. Dragon's Dogma is not due out until next year, so competition might not be a hindrance on the game's sales. Depending on the quality of this title, of course, we might see a new champion of the wide open playing field.
Check out the announcement trailer and see for yourself if Dragon's Dogma is worth keeping an eye on:
These are the features Capcom has announced for the game so far:
- Highly Stylized Action Combat — The creators of this game were responsible for the action hits — Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 4.
- Fight With Ability — The soul of combat comes down to how the game is played, where you strike the enemy, and how you react to their attacks.
- Accessible Depth — Bringing an unprecedented level of depth to the action genre, every decision has an effect on gameplay in an intuitive way that does not require micromanagement. The weight of your weapon, the material of your armor — even the length of your legs — plays a role in how you fight your battles, but does not interrupt the flow of the action.
- Epic Adventure — Dragon’s Dogma is built from the ground up as an action experience for consoles with a continuous, epic storyline that stands alone in style, scope and substance.
- Open World — Utilizing Capcom’s proprietary MT Framework engine and the groundbreaking graphical styles and lighting effects used in Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, Dragon’s Dogma expands the environment to create a vast, richly detailed world, ripe for exploration.
- A Rich Population — In addition to interacting with hundreds of fully voiced NPCs, you’ll be able to fight a large variety of creatures, from goblins to griffins and dragons. Each enemy requires a different strategy and provides a unique experience.
[gallery order="DESC" columns="2" exclude="78828"]
What do you think of your first look at Dragon's Dogma? Are you surprised to see Capcom develop an open-world high fantasy game?
Dragon's Dogma will be out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 some time in early 2012.
Follow Game Rant on Twitter @GameRant
Source: Capcom Unity