Destiny: Rise of Iron kicks off another new week of content for players with the weekly playlist reset, and here is everything that guardians needs to know for February 14, 2017.
While many may view February 14 as the most romantic day of the calendar year, Destiny fans will know it as the day the long anticipated Hot Fix 220.127.116.11 arrives. Originally touted as the answer to the Crucible shotgun problem, the hot fix includes many more weapon, class and ability updates as well. All in all, this update appears to be something much larger than originally thought representing more of a rebalance than just a simple hot fix.
Thanks to a recent livestream event, fans got thier first real look at how much is actually changing with the game. As expected, shotguns are falling back into line as expected, though the other weapon classes are being adjusted as well including pulse rifles such as the popular Clever Dragon. Certain subclasses are also getting tweaked in this update including the Hunter’s Bladedancer and Gunslinger classes, Striker Titans and Stormcaller Warlocks. Players looking for a complete list of tweaks and changes can find it here.
Along with the hot fix rolling out today, Tuesday is reset day in the world of Destiny. Let’s take a closer look at all of the new bounties, items, and quests for players to complete during the week of February 14, 2017.
The Shield Brothers have returned to the Nightfall strike this week. The Cabal brothers Valus Mau’ual and Valus Tlu’urn are waiting in the heart of the Dreadnaught for Guardians to stop them before they can detonate the Hive ship’s core. Originally introduced as part of The Taken King expansion pack, Shield Brothers represents Bungie’s first major effort in adjusting the traditional strike structure. Not only does the strike feature dynamically generated content, a first for strike missions at that time, but it also features a boss battle that doesn’t follow the established rules of vanilla Destiny.
Players start the strike int he middle of a battle between Cabal and Hive, so players can opt to avoid combat here and head straight into the Mausoleum to the crashed ship. Once inside, players may encounter Hive, Taken, or Cabal enemies depending on the run, ultimately leading to a mini-boss fight with the Goliath Tank. With not much room to maneuver around in, the fight can be tricky forcing the team to pick up adds and avoid damaging long range cannon shots from the tank. Communication and taking cover when needed will win the day in this battle. Continue moving through the ship taking out enemies along the way to reach the Narthex.
Having reached the final room, players initiate the boss battle by scanning the bombs at the center of the room. Doing so will trigger the first part of the fight, a battle against Valus Mau’ual, a Cabal boss that favors melee combat. To make matters worse, Mau’ual will be joined by waves of Cabal reinforcements which remain on the scene until both brothers have been bested. Once players manage to whittle his health down, he’ll retreat and Valus Tlu’urn will emerge in his place.
This fight is the polar opposite as Tlu’urn prefers fighting at a distance. As such, players can opt to get in close to damage him with melee attacks, or stay at range to better see his attacks coming. The final phase of the battle triggers once his health reaches a set point and both brothers will come in for the attack. Things become noticibly chaotic at this point and once a brother falls, the other will gain his abilities for the rest of the fight.
For a complete walkthrough of this strike, make sure to check out our guide for more information.
Without a burn modifier this week, the Nightfall may prove to be more difficult than originally believed. Here are the active modifiers this week in the Nightfall strike: Epic, Small Arms, Match Game, Fresh Troops, and Airborne.
- Epic adds heavily shielded enemies that are more aggressive and appear in greater numbers.
- Small Arms favors primary weapon damage.
- Fresh Troops adds additional enemy reinforcements to certain areas of the strike.
- Match Game adds a resistance to enemy shields to all unmatched elemental damage.
- Finally, Airborne increases Guardian damage done while in the air.
SIVA Crisis Heroic Strike Playlist
Just like last week, Solar Burn is still active in the SIVA Crisis Heroic Strike playlist so players should make sure to equip their Solar subclass along with any Solar flavored weapons like the Abbadon heavy machine gun. In addition to Solar Burn, here are the other active modifiers for the heroic playlist this week: Heroic, Specialist, and Exposure.
- Like every week, Heroic buffs enemies, making them more aggressive and in greater numbers than normal.
- Solar Burn amplifies damage from all Solar sources.
- Specialist favors secondary weapon damage.
- Lastly, Exposure significantly increases player shields but removes the ability to recharge them.
Players looking to complete their set or armor from the successful Dawning event earlier this year can do so here as the Heroic playlist is a great way to earn valuable high level light loot, 30 Legendary Marks and a Treasure of the Dawning box.
Don’t forget that those rare Skeleton Keys have a better chance at dropping in the SIVA Heroic Crisis playlist outside of finishing the Nightfall, which grants one automatically each week.
After a short break, Combined Arms is back as one of the featured modes in the Crucible. For those unaware, Combined Arms takes place only on the largest maps in Destiny due to the fact that this Control style match adds vehicles into the mix like sparrows, pikes, and interceptors.
Alternatively, Doubles is the other featured mode this week, perhaps as a subtle nod to last year’s Crimson Doubles event playlist. Essentially, this is a 2v2 team deathmatch mode.
Tower and Iron Temple Bounties
As expected, The Iron Temple on Felwinter Peak is bursting with new things for players to accomplish this week. First up is Tyra Karn, the local Cryptarch within this social space, as she has her usual Artifacts quest available. In exchange for performing a number of good deeds around The Plaguelands, players can pick up one of three Iron Lord Artifacts which include: Memory of Jolder, Memory of Silimar, and Memory of Skorri.
- Memory of Jolder completely removes the sprint cooldown.
- Memory of Silimar grants the player with added resistance to damage over time attacks when inside of the Crucible.
- Memory of Skorri helps allied players recharge their super much faster once the player’s super meter is fully charged.
Before leaving the safe confines of the mountain top, visit Shiro-4 to pick up his weekly Plaguelander quest to handle various patrols in and around the Plaguelands. In addition, the exo scout has four new Iron Lord bounties to pick up as well. A pattern seems to be emerging as once again this week, the focus is back on general Plagueland tasks rather than Archon’s Forge events. The four new bounties this week include: Anti-Splicer, Shock It To Me, Pull The Plug, and Archon’s Forge: Shanks.
As usual, these bounties are the only way to have a chance at earning the Thorn exotic quest line, one of four that is needed to finish off the four exotic quests in the Rise of Iron record book.
- Anti-Splicer requires that players finish patrols around the Plaguelands, a perfect compliment to Shiro’s normal Plaguelander quest.
- Shock It To Me tasks players with using arc damage to kill a certain number of Fallen Splicers.
- Pull The Plug tasks players with killing major and ultra Fallen Splicers around the Plaguelands. Make sure to look for enemies with yellow health bars to complete this bounty.
- Archon’s Forge: Shanks requires players to complete four Shank encounters inside of Archon’s Forge.
Before heading out to kill space creatures, head over to the Tower to snag additional quests and bounties. This week in the Crucible, Lord Shaxx is highlighting the Rift game mode, where players compete to grab and slam a ball of energy into the opposing team’s rift. Here’s what players need to do to complete this bounty:
- A Game of Rift requires players to finish seven Rift matches, earn 50 kills, earn 25 assists, and stop an enemy Rift runner once.
For players not interested in the Nightfall, these weekly Crucible bounties are an alternative way to earn Nightfall tier rewards and loot that will help get closer to that maximum light level of 400.
Commander Zavala is a must see each and every week now that the Titan Vanguard has been given the duty of handing out Strike bounties. As usual, Sunrise and Strike Elite are once again available to pick up with a third bounty being Clean Up.
- Sunrise – Earn a Gold Tier Medal before time expires in the Nightfall Strike.
- Clean Up – As a fireteam, kill 150 enemies during a Strike to earn the Brutal Efficiency medal. Do this three times to complete the bounty.
- Strike Elite – Earn 9 Gold Tier, Silver Tier, or Bronze Tier Medals.
Don’t forget, the Icebreaker exotic quest has a small chance to be started by turning in the Sunrise bounty each week.
Challenge of the Elders
Last, but certainly not least is the Prison of Elders. Players looking to find ways to earn more Sterling Treasure, House of Wolves specific loot and other Prison of Elders gear should stop by the Reef and speak to Variks to get started. For Guardians working on the Elder’s Sigil in the Challenge of the Elders, the modifiers for this week are: Trickle, Juggler, and a bonus for getting precision kills.
- Trickle significantly reduces the recharge rate of player abilities.
- Juggler prevents ammo from dropping for the currently equipped weapon. Make sure to swap constantly to force ammo to drop.
- Lastly, all Precision Kills award bonus points.
Even though it’s Valentine’s Day, Bungie doesn’t have anything special planned for the near future including bringing back the Crimson Days event.
Unsurprisingly, the Wrath of the Machine raid challenge has once again flipped, putting the focus on Aksis. Players will need to utilize the supercharge mechanic during each and every Aksis teleport. For more tips, tricks and a detailed walkthrough of the challenge, make sure to check our guide.
Happy Valentine’s Day, Guardians!
Destiny: Rise of Iron is available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.