After several days of farming Legendary Engrams, blue engrams, and (begrudgingly) even some greens, Bungie has killed the infamous "Cave of Wonders" in Destiny. The developer released a new patch today that, in addition to eliminating the popular loot farming spot, makes some other small changes to the game.
While many had seen the loot-farming cave as an important part of the Destiny experience – important because it let them circumvent the endless grinding – Bungie apparently did not see it that way. We figured that Bungie might squash the cave, but were still holding out hope it might survive the first wave of updates. We were wrong.
In addition to nerfing the Cave of Wonders' enemy respawn rate, Bungie has also tweaked the respawn rates in a few other areas. And just any case anyone was wondering, they've increased the rates not lowered them, so don't expect to find a new farming cave to pop up any time soon.
Other items of note in this latest update include a change to the Queen's Wrath Event whereby dismantling gear no longer offers ascendant materials. Players (present company included) thought they had found an easy way to farm those materials, but it appears Bungie caught on too quick. Now Destiny players will have to seek out ascendant materials the old fashioned way by grinding out raids and Strike missions.
Read the full patch notes below:
- Reduced drop rate of engrams following a hard wipe [fixed in 188.8.131.52]
- *Clarification: This effect only lasts for a short period of time immediately following a hard wipe
Queen's Wrath Event
- Material rewards for dismantling Queen's Wrath gear will no longer provide ascendant materials, but missions will continue to drop Legendary items
- The Hive of the holy “Treasure Cave” have realized the futility of their endless assault on Skywatch and have retired to lick their wounds and plan their next attack.
- Respawn timers for monster caves in Skywatch have been normalized to 40 seconds (increased from 6)
- Respawn timers for monster caves in Forgotten Shore have been normalized to 40 seconds (increased from 10)
- Respawn timers for monster caves in Ember Caves have been normalized to 40 seconds (increased from 10)
- Respawn timers for monster caves in the Shattered Coast have been normalized to 40 seconds (increased from 10)
- Respawn timers for monster caves in the Barrens have been normalized to 40 seconds (increased from 20)
Personally, that's the biggest flaw in this latest Destiny patch. Bungie has taken what was largely seen as fruitful and rewarding grinding (the loot cave) and traded it for random grinding. Nabbing a Legendary Engram in the loot cave and having it turn into nothing was disappointing, sure, but not nearly as disappointing as having that happen in the wild.
And why remove the ascendant materials from the Queen's Wrath event? With only a few worthwhile items per class, there's no reason to keep completing bounties until October 3rd. There was when you could at least earn some ascendant materials, however.
While we can see Bungie's logic in making these changes, we'd rather they hadn't. After 40+ hours of playing (read our comprehensive review), the random grinding becomes monotonous and only further highlights how content bare the experience is. At least with the loot cave, players had something to work towards. Now they seemingly have nothing.
Are you disappointed that Bungie has killed the loot cave? Has this impacted your interest in playing more of Destiny?