In advance of the Ashes of Ariandel DLC, From Software releases details for the massive upcoming patch for Dark Souls 3 including adjusted values for the poise stat.
While known for being notoriously difficult, From Software’s popular Souls franchise also chooses to keep many elements hidden from players, rather letting them discover things organically on their own. Dark Souls 3 continues this tradition with not only various items but some stats as well such as poise. With Ashes of Ariandel DLC coming next week, From Software is making sure the base game is up to snuff and making a ton of improvements in a new update including the poise stat.
After a rougher than expected update five months ago, From Software seemingly took a break from updating the game. Now with Patch 1.08, the developer is making sure to fix and improve as much as possible in advance of the first piece of downloadable content.
In addition to a number of bug fixes and other adjustments, the poise stat is also getting some love. Poise isn’t explicitly detailed by the game, but the general assumption is that the stat measures a character’s ability to resist being staggered by enemies. Unfortunately, it never seemed to work quite as intended, leading many to believe the variable ultimately didn’t affect anything. With poise values now adjusted “across the board,” perhaps that heavy armor/weapon build will finally be an attractive option for players.
Players curious of the changes coming to Dark Souls 3 can see the patch notes here:
• Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor.
• Improved regular attack animations of hammer category weapons.
• Improved regular attack animations of greatsword category weapons.
• Improved regular attack animations of axe category weapons.
• Improved regular attack animations of fist category weapons.
• Improved the “Neck Swipe” weapon skill animation of scythe category weapons.
• Fixed a bug where strong attacks performed using whips would not deal additional ・damage when fully charged.
• Fixed a bug where strong attacks performed using the Pickaxe would consume stamina multiple times per attack.
• Adjusted the “Onislayer” weapon skill hitbox timings for Onikiri and Ubadachi.
• Adjusted the hitbox timings of the claw category weapon skill “Leaping Slash”.
• Fixed a bug where rolling attacks on Astora’s Greatsword could not be parried.
• Improved the “Wrath of the Gods” weapon skill animation for Wornir’s Holy Sword.
• Improved the “Blind Spot” weapon skill animation for Corvian Greatknife and Handmaiden’s Dagger.
• Improved the “Shield Splitter” weapon skill animation for Mail Breaker and Irithyll Rapier.
• Improved the “Wolf Leap” weapon skill animation for Old Wolf Curved Sword.
• The weapon skill of Old King’s Great Hammer “Molten Perseverence” will now release lava on both hits.
• Improved the “Darkdrift” weapon skill animation for Darkdrift.
• Reduced effectiveness of rolling attack animations on Gotthard Twinswords while dual wielding.
• Increased effectiveness of the sorcery “Pestilent Mercury”.
• Improved the cast animation of miracle “Lifehunt Scythe”.
• Increased poison and toxic buildup of the pyromancies “Poison Mist” and “Toxis Mist”, respectively.
• Increased durability damage buildup of the pyromancy “Acid Surge”.
• Increased duration of the “Warcry” weapon skill.
• Fixed a bug where the player’s lock-on target would automatically change even if “Toggle auto lock-on” was set to “OFF”.
• Fixed a bug where the leader board for Darkmoon Knights would display incorrect statistics.
• Fixed a bug where the fog wall near Holy Knight Hodrick would sometimes not disappear during multiplayer even after defeating him.
• Fixed a bug where Orbeck of Vinheim would sometimes die before the player purchased all his spells.
• Fixed a bug where Patches and Greirat would never return if sent to steal after defeating all bosses.
• Fixed a bug where female characters were subject to counter damage during certain movement animations.
• Fixed a bug where equipping Vordt’s Great Hammer or Irithyll Straight Sword in the left hand would cause enchantments to disappear from weapons in the right hand.
• Fixed a bug where two-handing certain weapons would cause the stealth effect on Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring to not work correctly.
• Fixed a bug where Hornet Ring was not working for claw category weapons.
• Fixed a bug where dash attacks could not be performed using Farron Greatsword.
• Fixed a bug where strong attacks using Lothric Knight Sword were not dealing thrust type damage.
• Fixed a bug where dash attacks using Onikiri and Ubadachi were not dealing thrust type damage.
• Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.
The patch is scheduled to drop later this week and to prevent any confusion, From Software has provided the following times when the new update will become available:
JST – 2016-10-21: 17:00—19:00
PDT – 2016-10-21: 01:00—03:00
CEST – 2016-10-21: 10:00—12:00
Four days later, Ashes of Ariandel launches, letting players experience a new area that looks a lot like the Painted World of Ariamis from the original Dark Souls. For those curious about gameplay, publisher Bandai Namco released a new trailer showing off never before seen boss fights in the snowy landscape.
What do you think of the patch notes? Are there still things you’d like to see fixed? Let us know tour thoughts below in the comments.
Dark Souls 3 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.