For developers, every now and again it’s good to revisit your title and give it a little face-lift — tighten up areas that might be sagging a little and perhaps even tweak some things that may not have even been necessarily classified as problem areas. That’s exactly what Treyarch did with the release of a new patch for Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Among other things, the patch was going to fix a lot of the connection issues that PS3 owners were experiencing when trying to go online. Unfortunately, though some gamers have reported their issues resolved, others have seen no change and some have even reported new problems. It wasn’t all bad news though, as a couple new features were added including 400 new contracts, the ability to use a dolly camera in Theater mode, and support for split-screen offline dummy practice.
Below is a complete list of all that was either fixed or tweaked within the game.
- Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
- Additional measures to prevent the “Transmission error” and other disconnects. This was most likely to occur with large parties where party members had mixed NAT types.
- Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
- Addressed an issue with VOIP icons not appearing when USB headsets were plugged in prior to game launch.
- Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
- Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
- Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
- Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
- Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
- Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
- Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
- Prevention of Gunship and Chopper Gunner failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
- Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
- Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.
- Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
- Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
- Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users — increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
- Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
- Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
- Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
- Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.
A lot of these tweaks will help reduce some minor grievances for gamers, especially the negative influence on spawn points. Others are claiming that the ability to quick scope, something that was nerfed from Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops, has made a return. This change could be Treyarch doing its part to encourage sniping — something that is less prevalent in Black Ops.
There are still a ton of issues for the developers to address and gamers can rest assured that the team has heard them a thousand times over. With as popular a title as Black Ops is, it makes the scope of fine-tuning that much larger. For now, jump back into some multiplayer and see if there are any differences.
Are there any improvements/changes that you have noticed that have made the experience of Black Ops better? What problems are you still experiencing? What other issues you would you like to see Treyarch address?
Call of Duty: Black Ops is available now for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.
Source: Black Ops