Borderlands 3 officially released today, and players are now busy collecting Eridium in BL3 and enjoying the myriad of loot that the game has to offer. While they undertake their journey through Pandora and beyond, some players may become curious about exactly how many chapters there are in Borderlands 3. Indeed, shining some light on that matter is exactly the purpose of this guide.
To note, Paul Sage, the game's creative director, revealed how long it takes to beat Borderlands 3 back in June. However, it was not specifically indicated how many BL3 story missions players would encounter as they worked their way through the designated length. That said, now that Gearbox Software's highly anticipated new looter shooter has launched, an answer to the question of how many chapters BL3 has is available.
How Many Chapters In Borderlands 3
Borderlands 3 is an expansive game, and it is going to take players some time to work their way through all of its story missions. Specifically, there are 23 chapters in Borderlands 3, and these story missions will lead players on an intergalactic journey to take down BL3's villains, Troy and Tyreen Calypso.
To provide some context, Borderlands 2 featured 19 chapters, while Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel had 12. The original Borderlands is a bit of an outlier, with 46 story missions, though its average completion time actually falls below that of Borderlands 2. This is all to say that the number of chapters is not a direct indicator of how long a Borderlands game will be, and players can expect the largest Borderlands experience yet with BL3.
For those that would like to see a full list of Borderlands 3 chapters, one has been included below. It is important to mention that this BL3 chapter list may function as a spoiler to some, and players that want to experience the game without any more information are advised to turn back now.
- Chapter 1 - Children of the Vault
- Chapter 2 - From the Ground Up
- Chapter 3 - Cult Following
- Chapter 4 - Taking Flight
- Chapter 5 - Sanctuary
- Chapter 6 - Hostile Takeover
- Chapter 7 - The Impending Storm
- Chapter 8 - Space-Laser Tag
- Chapter 9 - Atlas, At Last
- Chapter 10 - Beneath the Meridian
- Chapter 11 - Hammerlocked
- Chapter 12 - Lair of the Harpy
- Chapter 13 - The Guns of Reliance
- Chapter 14 - The Family Jewel
- Chapter 15 - Going Rogue
- Chapter 16 - Cold as the Grave
- Chapter 17 - Blood Drive
- Chapter 18 - Angels and Speed Demons
- Chapter 19 - The Great Vault
- Chapter 20 - The First Vault Hunter
- Chapter 21 - Footsteps of Giants
- Chapter 22 - In the Shadow of Starlight
- Chapter 23 - Divine Retribution
As players make their way through Borderlands 3 23 chapters, they will encounter a variety of strange creatures and bizarre weapons, including the BL3 Rick and Morty shotgun. Additionally, the game is certain to contain a bevy of optional content, which means that there is a great deal more to experience beyond the standard Borderlands 3 story missions outlined here.
Borderlands 3 is now available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One, with a Stadia version also in development.