In November of 2011, around when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was breaking world records and selling even more than its predecessors, Activision confirmed what we all already knew: a new Call of Duty game would release in the fall of 2012 from Treyarch who had been found previously to have posted job openings for a next-gen title.
With all signs (and resumes) pointing to the next CoD being Black Ops 2, including an Amazon France retail posting which got Activision in a snafu for reportedly threatening to blacklist a French outlet, it won’t be long before details are
released leaked. It may have already begun.
On the confirmed side of the news regarding the next Call of Duty, we know it’ll ship with Call of Duty Elite 2.0 built in. On the unofficial side, a posting on the Activision forums is earning a lot of attention for containing what may be leaked details about the multiplayer features and changes coming to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. What makes this especially interesting is that Activision immediately killed the thread. Another popped up, and was subsequently killed as well, but not before cached by Google (via MP1st). Here’s the complete posting:
This year, Call of Duty will return with it’s ninth installment with Black Ops 2. As expected it will be following Treyarch’s previous game Black Ops. It’s release date is set for the 6th of November.
- Escort, a new game mode
- Similar to Search and Destroy however a live player must be escorted to one of three areas (or two depending on the map) without being killed.
- The match will have rounds, consisting of one life only.
- Drop Zone and Kill Confirmed will return
- Team Defender and Infected will not return
- Will follow from Modern Warfare 3’s system
- Larger emphasis on objectives
- A bomb plant is worth 2 points
- A neutral flag is worth 1, however an enemy flag is worth 2
- A flag assist capture is worth 1, a capture is worth 2
- The Specialist Pointstreak has be modified
- 2 kills now gets you 1 perk
- The 4th kill gets you 2 more perks
- The 6th kill gets you 3 more perks
- The 8th Kill gets you 4 more perks
- You do not get every perk when you reach 8 kills
- Perks only become “Pro” when you have them Pro
- RC XD will not return
- Heat vision
- Is a new Pointstreak reward
- When you get the required points, you can activate this Pointstreak and your player pulls out a scope and attaches it to your weapon.
- This scopes main advantage is it’s ability to detect enemies through most walls.
- Note, the scope can only be attached to primaries not including shotguns
- Item Packages
- Requires 5 points
- Fall along side care packages and air drop traps.
- Features a list of package items only
- Including ammo, mini gun, grenade launcher, rocket launcher, and body armor
- There will be 15 prestiges
- There will be 50 ranks
- Every two prestiges there is a 5 rank increase
- The final prestige has 90 levels
- ELITE is being fully incorporated into Black Ops 2
- Combat record has been modified and re-named as ELITE Stats
- There will be a specific lobby for clan matches (new way of leveling clans)
- Clan Tournaments can now be implemented
- No MOAB or Nuke
- No last stand
- No death streaks
- No flame thrower attachment
- Map design and size will be following Black Ops not Modern Warfare 3
- Improved sniper rifle usage.
- No aim assist for any sniper rifle.
- Less sway
- No longer just perk 1 chooses the players appearance
- Appearance is a combination of all perks and type of Pointstreak being used.
- Larger emphasis on hardcore than ever before
- No grenade launchers
- Only vehicle guided rocket launchers permitted
- Respawn timings decreased (for most modes)
- 1 bullet in the foot will no longer kill a person, a head or chest shot is usually required.
- A person will now bleed out if severely injured.
Perk System 2.0
- The Perk Pro system has been upgraded
- There is now 2 options a perk can advance to.
- Both require different challenges to unlock
- Once the desired Pro version is unlocked, the player can select that as their “Perk Pro”.
- Once selected, the only way to choose the other option is by entering prestige mode.
- For example Perk slot 1 has the perk called Speed
- Speed — Reduces the time taken to aim down the sight
- Pro I — Swaps weapons faster
- Pro II — Throws equipment faster
- Will be returning with vast improvements.
- Difficulty is no longer based on how long the bots take to start shooting.
- Bots now have an advance AI system
- Similar to the behavior seen in the MW3 Spec Ops survival
Knowing how every Call of Duty game has released within the same two-week range of time around early November, and considering the release date of Medal of Honor: Warfighter at the end of October, Black Ops 2 is either releasing on November 6 or November 13. So, what’s shown here isn’t a stretch or difficult to estimate.
As for what’s listed, with one new game mode and a few tweaks and feature changes, if this not-too-surprising list does prove true, then Black Ops 2 (at this point in time) doesn’t look to be doing much different or new by any means – a growing concern and criticism from the gaming community and critics.
No last stand and no MOAB/Nuke will make a lot of players happy, at least.
What do you want from the next Call of Duty game?
Follow Rob on Twitter @rob_keyes for more on Call of Duty.
Source: Activision Forums (via MP1st)