Imagine after hours of battling baddies and various goons in Batman: Arkham City, a break is necessary; hey, gamers still need to eat. Game? Saved. Returning a few hours later, the gamer begins to sweat profusely and utter curses that would make a sailor blush: the saved file is now corrupt, and the only picture one can conjure is the Joker laughing hysterically at the misfortune. There is no recovery, nothing. The file is officially dead, leaving the now-disgusted player with the only option of restarting the game. Joy.
Unfortunately, many Xbox 360 players of Arkham City have encountered this very frustrating issue, and it has undoubtedly left them with slightly heightened levels of aggression. The quality assurance teams at Warner Bros. Interactive have unfortunately been unable to replicate the issue, a canned response that many hear from their IT department whenever encountering other issues as well.
"We greatly appreciate and value you as a customer and apologize for any inconvenience if you have encountered any technical problems which might have impacted your experience with the game. We would very much like to fix the 'disappearing save files' issue some consumers have been reporting with the Xbox 360 version of the game as quickly as possible. Thus far our QA department has been unable to reproduce this issue."
To their credit however, WB is reaching out to frustrated gamers, hoping they will work with them on discovering the problem of the glitch. Responding to players via their community forum, WB has provided a bullet list for players in helping pinpoint the exact issue. WB states that hardware and software configuration is critical when trying to understand the nature of a glitch, and hopes this list will produce some invaluable information for its QA department.
- What version of the Xbox 360 hardware are you are experiencing the “disappearing save files” issue on?
- What storage method are you using to save your Batman: Arkham City game files to (i.e. Xbox 360 hard drive, Xbox 360 memory unit, USB drive)?
- What version of the Xbox 360 system software do you have on your machine?
- Are you running a Beta version of the forthcoming Xbox 360 “Holiday 2011” system update?
- Have you experienced the “disappearing save files” issue before and/or after installing any Batman: Arkham City DLC content (If yes, please be specific as to the DLC content you have downloaded)?
- Have you experienced the “disappearing save files” issue before and/or after installing either of Batman: Arkham City's two title updates?
WB is hopeful that the information that players provide will enable to hunt down and squash this save-corrupting bug and we hope they can save some of those game saves... because this shouldn't happen to people who pay $60 for a game.
Any of our loyal readers experiencing this issue? Any tips or tricks that you have uncovered that could potentially help other gamers?
Batman: Arkham City is currently available for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Follow me on Twitter @mattrowland1
Source: Warner Bros. Interactive