Apple has brought together the media to see their latest iPhone (as well as new iPod Touch and iPod Nano models). We’ll write-up a thorough summary of the event – once the presentation is over.
In the mean time, we’ll be updating the page regularly, so keep refreshing for new details. The presentation will start at 1:00 PM EST/10:00 AM PST.
Now that the dust has settled, check out our feature list of iPhone 5 details and tech specs.
Until then, check out all the iPhone 5 rumors and news we’ve covered leading up to today’s announcement:
- Rumor: iPhone 5 to be called The New iPhone [Updated]
- iPhone 5 Video Leaked
- iPhone 5 to be Revealed on September 12th
- iPhone 5 to Launch in September 2012
- iPhone 5 to Have Smaller Dock Port
- Apple Eyeing 4.6 Inch Screen for iPhone 5
Here’s a list of the notable Apple announcements as they occur:
- CEO Tim Cook is providing updates on Apple retail stores – plus Mac and iPad sales figures.
- “It is the Phone that’s changed phones forever.”
- iPhone 5 name confirmed.
- Made of glass and aluminum (leaked images were accurate).
- 7.6mm thick, 18% thinner. World’s thinnest smartphone. 20% lighter than the 4S.
- 326ppi Retina display. Taller screen. 4-inch display. 1136 x 640 resolution.
- Designed to “fit beautifully in your hand.”
- iWork, Garageband, etc have all been updated to take advantage of the taller screen – older apps run in letterbox.
- “Ultrafast Wireless” – added HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, and LTE.
- LTE support in US: Sprint, AT&T and Verizon.
- LTE supported outside of the US as well.
- 802.11a/b/g/n, dual-channel, up to 150Mbps.
- A6 Chip = 2X faster CPU and 2x faster graphics.
- Rob Murray from EA demoing ‘Real Racing 3’ – available later this year.
- Battery life: 8 hours of 3G or LTE talk time and browsing. 10 hours on WiFi.
- Camera: 8 megapixel, 3,264 x 2,448 backside-illuminated sensor, f/2.4 aperture. Sapphire lens crystal cover and dynamic low light mode. 40% faster image capture.
- Panorama images confirmed – combined 28 megapixel image.
- Video: Read camera is 1080p. Better video stabilization. Facial recognition. Front facing is 720p, backside illuminated.
- As previously announced, FaceTime calls over 3G.
- Audio system: 3 microphones: improved voice recognition and noise cancellation.
- Wideband Audio: 5-magnet transducer in speaker.
- New Dock Connector: Lighting. 80% smaller. Adaptors for older devices.
- Two colors: White or Black front – with silver aluminum or black anodized backing, respectively.
- Pricing: $199 for 16GB. $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB.
- Pre-orders on Friday the 14th.
- Shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Maps: Rehashing the new features from the WWDC presentation: Flyover, points of interest, Siri directions, etc.
- Safari: iCloud tabs (share open tabs on desktops with your phone).
- Mail: Mark certain contacts as VIP.
- Passbook: Airport boarding passes, retail coupons, movie tickets, etc.
- Shared photo streams with push notifications.
- Siri Improvements: Launch apps, movie information, sports scores, post Facebook updates.
- Media store apps have been redesigned for easier browsing.
- “The most advanced operating system in any mobile device.”
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2 and iPod Touch compatible with iOS 6.
- Available September 19th.
- “Dramatically simpler.” iCloud built in.
- Album grid layout. Click on an album and it expands to show tracks.
- Easier playlist creation (drag a song and iTunes automatically opens available playlists for dropping).
- Cleaner mini-player.
- iCloud integration allows position syncing between mobile devices and Macs (pick up where your home movie left off when on the go).
- Available as a free download in late October.
- 5.4mm. 38% thinner than the last Nano.
- Large 2.5-inch multi-touch display.
- Home button.
- Lighting dock connector.
- Seven colors: aluminum, black, purple, green, blue, yellow, and red.
- FM tuner with DVR functionality, fitness pedometer. No app support.
- Bluetooth included – enabling music streaming.
- Battery life: 30 hours of playback.
- Pricing: 16GB for $149.
- Available in October.
- 6.1mm thick, 88 grams.
- 4 inch “iPhone 5” display.
- Lighting dock connector.
- Updated with A5 processor.
- Most popular video game player: 150 million players in Game Center.
- Demoing “Clumsy Ninja.” Available this holiday season.
- Battery life: 40 hours of music playback. 8 hours of video.
- Camera: 5 megapixel. Backside illuminated, f/2.4, 5 element lens. Sapphire crystal lens cover.
- Panorama feature.
- iPod Touch Loop: Allows users to put a wrist strap on the device.
- Video: 720p front facing, 1080p rear camera.
- Siri support.
- Five colors: raw aluminum, black, blue, yellow, and red.
- Pricing: 32GB for $299 or 64GB for $399
- Available in October.
- Focused speaker port that is directed into the inner ear canal.
- Defined by the geometry of the user’s ear – but doesn’t create a seal.
- Three ports maximize airflow for improved sound quality.
Follow me on Twitter @benkendrick for further updates on the iPhone 5 as well as other movie, TV, and gaming news.