Respawn Entertainment’s debut game and high profile Microsoft exclusive Titanfall had a very busy weekend. After inviting media to test the game the week before last and opening up the beta to select players last week, Respawn and publisher Electronic Arts opened the mech-heavy first-person shooter to all Xbox One players over the weekend to try. Unfortunately, while the gameplay is being applauded, the Origin systems (on PC) and Microsoft servers (for Xbox One) weren’t ready for the load and server errors, party systems and voice chats were screwy for many players over the weekend.
This is the reason why the Titanfall beta is crucial to launching the full game in March, especially with EA coming off problematic online launches with Battlefield 4 and SimCity – and promising Titanfall won’t suffer from the same issues. The PC beta is now also open for all players (as of last night) who registered and thanks to the beta release, tech savvy gamers have accessed the client’s files to seemingly unveil the game’s contents, when it comes to maps and weapons.
Hey PC players: Did you register before 4pm PST yesterday? Check your My Games Library in Origin, getting more people in to test servers.— Respawn (@Respawn) February 17, 2014
According to RazorUK on NeoGAF and RazorUK on Reddit, they might have uncovered the complete Titanfall map list (and much more) by using a hex editor on one of the game’s data files, these are the names you can expect to battle on in the full game release – the first two are available for play in the beta and the others you can see the map thumbnails below, verifying their authenticity (15 in total):
- angel city (Map Set One)
- fracture (Map Set Two)
- outpost 207
- smugglers cove
- training grounds
As the images depict, there are varied aesthetics and level designs across all of the maps. If all 15 are the maps available at launch, that’s a good number for an average triple-A shooter. By comparison, Battlefield 4 launched with 10 maps, although those were significantly larger. As for the game modes that can be played in these locations, we know that for the multiplayer campaign of the game (there is no true single player in Titanfall) each map will have its own scenario/objectives. These might be the six core multiplayer modes Titanfall ships with (plus a playlist):
- AT – Attrition?
- TDM – Team Deathmatch?
- CTF – Capture the Flag?
- LTS – Last Titan Standing?
- HP- Hardpoint Capture?
- VM – Variety Mode (a mix of all the other modes listed, sans campaign)
- Campaign Multiplayer
We’re assuming variety is a randomized playlist. And we knew about Campaign Multiplayer already. Since the beta features Attrition, Hardpoint and Last Titan Standing, only the Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes – staples of the FPS genre – remain unseen. Perhaps they offer a twist on these traditional modes with the Titans? Next up, thanks to no1dead on Reddit we have the Pilot/Titan weapons along with their secondary abilities (Ordinances, Tactical Abilities, Perks):
- auto_eject – Auto Eject
- build_up_nuclear_core – Nuclear Ejection
- doomed_time – Survivor
- fast_reload – Fast Autoloader
- longer_bubble – Dome Shield Battery
- minimap_ai – Minion Detector
- ordnance_pack – Explosive Pack
- power_cell – Power Cell
- shield_regen – Regen Booster
- turbo_drop – Warpfall Transmitter
- wall_runner – Enhanced Parkour kit
Pilot Tactical Abilities (3)
- Cloak (in beta)
- Heal -Stim (in beta)
- Sonar – Active Radar Pulse
Pilot Ordinances (4)
- arc_grenade (in beta)
- frag_grenade (in beta)
- proximity_mine (Arc Mine)
- satchel charge
Titan Tactical Abilities (3)
- vortex – Vortex Shield (in beta)
- smoke – Electric Smoke (in beta)
- bubble_shield – Particle Wall
Titan Ordinances (4)
- salvo_rockets – Rocket Salvo (in beta)
- homing_rockets – Slaved Warheads (in beta)
- cluster_rocket – Cluster Missile
- shoulder_rockets – Multi-Target Missile System
- weapon_r97 – R-97 Compact SMG
- weapon_g2 – G2A4 Rifle
- weapon_lmg – Spitfire LMG
- weapon_smr – Sidewinder Anti-Titan
- weapon_car – C.A.R.SMG
- weapon_rspn101 – R-101C Carbine
- weapon_smartpistol – Smart Pistol MK5
- weapon_shotgun – EVA-8 Shotgun
- weapon_dmr – Longbow-DMR Sniper
- weapon_archer – Archer Heavy Rocket Anti-Titan
- weapon_p2011 – Hammond P2011
- weapon_autopistol – RE-45 Auto Pistol
- weapon_hemlok – Hemlok BF-R
- weapon_sniper – Kraber-AP Sniper
- weapon_chargerifle -
- weapon_mgl -
- weapon_wingman -
The leaked info seems legit and there’s also info which suggests that the game’s campaign – possibly all of the modes – will feature splitscreen play, a feature that’s been mostly dropped from the industry in recent years. The real question now is whether or not all this content will be available at launch or if it’s Day One/Delayed DLC which would be sure to raise a little uproar from the community. The bigger picture questions however are whether or not Titanfall can launch without a hitch on all of its platforms on March 11 (and the 25th for Xbox 360).
Titanfall releases March 11, 2014 for the PC and Xbox One, March 25 on Xbox 360.
Follow Rob on Twitter @rob_keyes.