Only two short weeks remain until gamers will be lining up at midnight to pick-up their pre-ordered PlayStation 4 hardware units – and, subsequently, Sony is getting the rest of its gaming arm in order. In addition to a forthcoming app that will add second-screen support for iOS and Android devices, a Vita update adding PS4 remote-play functionality, and beefing-up PSN server support, the console developer/game publisher is also offering players the chance to earn rewards through Sony’s existing rewards program.
Previously only available to customers with a Sony credit card, along with a few other non-gaming loyalty programs, Sony Rewards has allowed frequent shoppers the ability to earn points towards other Sony (and partner) products. However, now, gamers can get in on the action by spending money on the PlayStation Store.
According to a recent post on the PlayStation Blog, gamers who purchase items through the PlayStation Store, after registering with the Sony Rewards Program site, will begin earning points that can be exchanged for everything from future games, store currency, movies, consoles, TVs, and more.
Check out the image below for a list of the items and offers that gamers will be able to acquire through the program:
So how exactly do PlayStation Store customers earn points? Sony detailed that info too:
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on PlayStation Store when you link your PSN account to a Sony Rewards account.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on Sony Store online or in store.
- Earn points on purchases at your favorite retailers like Gamestop.com, Bestbuy.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com when you shop through Points Plus on Sony Rewards.
- Earn points when you upload select movie ticket stubs and register DVD or Blu-ray discs.
Sony customers that plan to sign-up should complete the registration in the next few weeks – as the company has added some minor incentives to help get the ball rolling:
- Get 100 bonus points when you sign up for Sony Rewards and link your PSN account. (Offer ends 11/12/13)
- Get 5 points per $1 spent on your first PlayStation Store purchase after linking your PSN account to Sony Rewards. (Offer ends 11/30/13)
- Purchase a 1 Yr PlayStation Plus membership on PlayStation®Store and get 250 points. (Offer ends 11/30/13)
- Upload your movie ticket stubs on SonyRewards.com and get up to 400 bonus points. (Offer ends 11/15/13)
Even the smallest reward (a $10 PlayStation network card), not to mention the ability to combine rewards points with points earned from costly hardware purchases on the online retail store, using a Sony Credit Card, uploading movie ticket stubs, and other offers, makes signing-up a no-brainer for any players who regularly purchases DLC add-ons, games, themes, movies, and music, among other digital content, through the PlayStation Store.
However, the exchange rate is not great, so many gamers will, realistically, never have a shot at obtaining a TV, tablet, or console system through the program. The actual points trade (currently) at a 1:100 ratio, meaning that to get a free $59.99 game, a customer would need to have accumulated 5,999 points (via purchases of $5,999.00). Want a 12-month PlayStation Plus subscription? That’ll run 4,999 points. Especially ambitious gamers could also secure a Sony 4K Ultra High Definition TV for only 549,999 points (which retails for $5,499.99 and would require gamers to spend $549,999.00 in the PlayStation Store and other Sony-branded storefronts).
Still, for users who regularly make purchases through the PlayStation Store or intend to take full advantage of additional opportunities for points, it’s likely that customers will be privy to a worthwhile freebie once in a while – or, at the very least, discounts on select products.
If you’re interested in signing up, head over to the Sony Rewards Page (HERE) to link your PSN account and start earning points.
Follow me on Twitter @benkendrick.