It’s only a matter of weeks now until Activision lifts the veil of secrecy on the next installment to the best-selling video game series. Infinity Ward has had two years to prepare Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and with the help of Sledgehammer games and Raven Software, we’re on the verge of seeing what the next game is all about.
New details have emerged on Modern Warfare 3’s story, characters, missions and multiplayer. While they remain unofficial, it’s very specific and believable.
Kotaku’s sources have been very open on revealing details about Modern Warfare 3, from its supposed November 8th release date (the same day as Battlefield 3) to its logo and box art. They even unveiled the logo for Call of Duty Elite, what we think is a premium subscription service, something that Beachhead has had in the works for Activision for years.
For a game they’ve not seen, they issue an intense amount of praise to hype the title up and we hope it delivers. Here’s a breakdown of the info:
- Modern Warfare 3 picks up the same moment MW2 leaves off, as we reported before.
- Campaign will take players across the globe, from New York to London, Paris, Dubai and more.
- Players played as 5 different characters in Modern Warfare 2. MW3 will see them again play as some of the surviving ones as well as a Russian Federal Protective Services agent, am SAS Operative and several vehicles (tanks, AC-130, etc.)
- Two new characters joining the part: Delta Force operatives “Frost” and “Sandman.”
- Single player campaign features 15 missions, beginning with Russian attack on Manhattan and ending with confrontation in Dubai.
- Story will complete the story arcs set in the series far.
- Spec Ops mode returns with two variants: ‘Mission’ and ‘Survival.’ Mission is likely a co-op mode similar to what we saw in MW2 and Survival is the game’s horde mode.
The campaign and characters all sound good, but I’m more interested in the Spec Ops mode. Modern Warfare 2 first introduced this but it was limited to 2 players and there could have been more missions to play. ‘Mission’ mode should allow for up to 4 players and Survival, even more.
We heard previously that the game will increase in scale, and will finally introduce destructible environments. We’ll find out soon how much of this is true.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is expected to release on all major platforms on November 8, 2011.
Follow me on Twitter @rob_keyes.