Enjoying Mass Effect 3 multiplayer but finding it a little shallow with not enough maps to shoot Reapers on? Have you unlocked all of the characters, and leveled your favorite ones up already?
BioWare is adding to the four-player co-op mode of Mass Effect 3 with the ‘Resurgence Pack,’ adding a variety of new character classes – including the first playable Batarians and Geth – along with two new maps.
When BioWare and Electronic Arts confirmed that Mass Effect 3 would introduce the franchise’s first multiplayer mode, there was a lot of skepticism about its quality and whether or not it would take away from the campaign. Due to the controversial ending of the game and yesterday’s announcement that there would be free DLC titled ‘Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut‘ that will add more cutscenes to expand the game’s ending, it may have actually affected development of the campaign, but they’re making up for it now.
Along with the free (non-playable) story DLC coming this summer to add to the campaign’s ending, BioWare today confirmed what we already knew was coming: multiplayer DLC!
When detailing this weekend’s N7 Multiplayer Event, BioWare intentionally name-dropped character classes that had been leaked weeks earlier through a screenshot:
“Allied forces have matched krogan mercs and batarians with asari justicars for unconventional warfare. Their mission: to create resistance on Reaper-occupied planets to tie down local Reapers.”
Now, those additional character classes are confirmed, along with two brand new maps. The best part is, as we suspected yesterday, is that it’s coming for free. Don’t worry, BioWare is continuously making money through in-game microtransactions and will continue to through packs like this.
- Two New Action-Packed Maps – Take the battle to Firebase Condor, a warzone outpost located on one of Palaven’s moons and Firebase Hydra, an old abandoned quarian colony which has since been converted into a critical power facility. Each map represents a crucial asset in the overall fight against the Reapers.
- Six Powerful New Unlockable Characters – Assume the role of new characters for each class, including the Asari Justicar Adept, Krogan Battlemaster Vanguard and characters from new playable races with the Batarian Soldier, Batarian Sentinel, Geth Engineer and Geth Infiltrator.
- Lethal New Weapons – Obliterate wave after wave of enemies by unlocking the Striker Assault Rifle,Kishock Harpoon Gun and Geth Plasma SMG.
- New Consumables – Cash in your credits to purchase reinforcement packs that could include the following new consumables:
- Strength Enhancer – Applies a melee damage boost for one mission
- Targeting VI – Applies a headshot damage bonus for one mission
- Stabilization Module – Stabilizes weapons while firing and moving for one mission
- Shield Power Cells – Shortens the length of time shields take to begin recharging for one mission
This is a very welcome and needed addition to the game and we hope BioWare will continue to support the game by adding more maps, characters and perhaps even, additional multiplayer modes in the future so we can keep playing it. It was also a smart move to announce both free campaign and multiplayer DLC before BioWare’s panel on Mass Effect 3 at PAX East.
Operation Beachhead began yesterday, 6PM PST Thursday April 5, and runs until 5AM PST Tuesday April 10, when this DLC will become available.
Mass Effect 3 is now available for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Follow Rob on Twitter @rob_keyes for more on Mass Effect.