“Do you know what warships, smooth jazz, and a sultry bass voice have in common? This trailer.”
That’s what the press release about Leviathan: Warships sent to us read, and they weren’t kidding. There are no helicopter crashes, no slow-mo breaches and no dubstep in this trailer. There’s not even an epic score (see: Assassin’s Creed: Revelations trailer) or an emotional sequence (see: Dead Island trailer), or even a shocking cliffhanger. Paradox Interactive wants to take it slow and in fashion that can be described as just plain cool, have taken a jazzy approach to showcasing and detailing their upcoming game, Leviathan: Warships. And it’s epic.
The goal of any PR campaign or marketing assets is to raise awareness and boost the appeal of the product or service and in a stroke of genius, Paradox Interactive has done just that with Leviathan: Warships. In announcing pre-orders, Paradox also shared a new trailer (up top) and while the game at first glance appears rather simple and unexciting, the narrator’s dialogue makes a lasting impression.
Leviathan: Warships is a strategic action game where players can build and customize their own fleet of warships to play with or against their friends. Play together in the co-op campaign missions against the growing Marauder threat or fight through special Challenge Missions with your friends. If you rather want to test your admiral capabilities, you can fight against your friends or foes in skirmishes across multiple maps.The fleet editor features multiple ship and weapon types which can be combined in almost any possible way, allowing players to try out a vast amount of strategic possibilities.
- Tactical Action: Plot out your turn in advance and watch your plans come to fruition alongside your foes’ moves
- Form Your Fleet: Customize your fleet choosing from multiple ship types and arm them with a vast set of both offensive and defensive weaponry.
- Sink Your Devices: Cross-platform play between PC, Mac, iOS and Android, together with the games built-in cloud saving functionality, allows you to continue your sessions from any computer, tablet or location
- Enlist Your Shipmates: Bring along up to 3 other players for five individual challenge missions, or a full co-op campaign spanning nine levels.
- Own the Oceans: Prove your dominance of the sea by saving replays of your battles
- Support for Marooned Sailors: Offline mode available for campaign and challenges
PC & Mac system requirements on page 2.
Smart marketing. We want to play this game and thanks to this trailer, we’re taking this ship seriously.
Leviathan: Warships releases April 30, 2013 for PC, Mac, and Android and iOS tablets.
Let me know on Twitter @rob_keyes what you favorite game trailer is!